So I wanna run subs thru a stock pontiac HU...

buickman091

There's probally a thread about this lurking around somewhere but I gave up trying to find it... I have a 96 GP with a stock pontiac CD player. I have 2 kenwood 12's and a 1000 watt amp Id like to run off my stock CD player to keep the stock appearance and SWRC's since everything still works. I know I will need an adapter of some sort to run the RCA's off the rear speakers but I don't know which one to get. Also, other than not being able to control the subs with the stock HU, is there any other downfalls/disadvantages to doing this? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

there are line convertors to get RCA outputs, but i'm not sure how well they work. i bought a Scoche one a LONG time ago when i thought my circa ~1996 Panasonic head unit didn't have RCA outs.... it did(at least 1 pair, possibly 2, can't remember), so i never used the convertor. that solves that issue, but you'll lose the rear speakers with that method, unless the convertor offers a passthrough.

I did this two, Everyone told me to go aftermarket, 2 reasons i did not want to. 1.no HUD/SWRC controls, 2. not factory look.

I picked up a 4 channel Scosche line output converter at the local wally world and ran 2 kicker amps off of it! and i could have not been more thrilled

p142SLC4-F.jpeg

how much are those?

I just bought a different kind for $25. I will be installing it in the red tgp for all the same reasons except I run a tape adapter to my mp3 on my cell phone.

I got a 1200 watt cadence amp and a boston sub I will be hooking up soon. was going to buy a JL audio cleansweep for it, but I may not like it and that money could go towards a bad ass aftermarket HU. It is really a good feeling to be running a factory stereo that works good after 20 years though. especially if the 6 speakers that came with the car all sound perfect and if you want you can pop in the TURBO grand prix cassette tape and hear a woman talking about your car in a sexy voice. she really makes you feel like you are driving a special car, its f-in awesome.

^huh?

what did you tap in to for the remote wire?

some subs detect it automatically through the speaker wires, but for those that don't you could hook it up to the switched 12V line, that way the amp kicks on when the radio comes on and goes off when the radio does. or would it go off of ignition? i forget.

bought the unit for 18 bucks at walmart, works good. for the remote lead, I tapped the green power antenna wire in the harness. all connections soldered and taped and all is good now! thanks guys!

what black tape??? :willynilly:

'Tis the ghetto electrician's best friend...

i'd have thought if someone would go through the trouble of soldering it, they would heatshrink as well...

there is a horrible fright right down near the ghetto and they have a sidewalk sale with a variety heat shrink pack for $1.99...

black tape almost costs more.

what black tape??? :willynilly:

'Tis the ghetto electrician's best friend...

i'd have thought if someone would go through the trouble of soldering it, they would heatshrink as well...

Sorry guys, that's what I meant :lol:

I did this two, Everyone told me to go aftermarket, 2 reasons i did not want to. 1.no HUD/SWRC controls, 2. not factory look.

I picked up a 4 channel Scosche line output converter at the local wally world and ran 2 kicker amps off of it! and i could have not been more thrilled

p142SLC4-F.jpeg

Any more information on this? I just bought it, I want to install an amp for a subwoofer from my factory radio on my malibu. I heard to get the signal from the rear speakers but exactly how? and a 2nd question, what is the one lil black cable for?

Do you have any pics of your install?

• 2 weeks later...

you just tap into the rear speaker wires. run speaker wire fron the existing factory wiring to the converter and run a set of RCA's to the trunk. the instructions that come with the converter will shed some light on the install too. very simple stuff

you just tap into the rear speaker wires. run speaker wire fron the existing factory wiring to the converter and run a set of RCA's to the trunk. the instructions that come with the converter will shed some light on the install too. very simple stuff

If you were to just mount this block on your sub box, couldn't you run speaker wires from the rear speaker/splice into right in the trunk, then drop RCA's not even 2' down onto the sub box/amp? I haven't seen this unit in person so i'm not sure otherwise how it gets power/etc, just thinking it may be a more simple install than running RCA's that long if they aren't needed and help prevent any noise disturbance between RCA's/power wire :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

step 1.

Unhook you factory 6x9's.

step 2.

take the + and - from the right and + and - from the left and hook them to the box acordingly.

step 3.

run new wire from the box back to speakers (the box has a input and output spots)

step 4 run you rca cables from the box to your amp,

and the black wire is to clean the sound up a little (ground) I have never had to use it.

what did you tap in to for the remote wire?

BTW most amps have a line level input, so you can just tap into the rear speaker wires.

This is somewhat true, but it's more of a new thing. About 5 years ago virtually no amps had this and you had to pay for the converter.

I have this setup in the Grand Prix coupe and couldn't be happier (my amp does the hi-low for me).

Thanks! I finally got it running, here's what I did:

I only had to tap 1 rear speaker (2 wires +-) to get the speaker wire to the input of that box, then from the output of the box I ran the rca to the amp, then I had to run a remote wire from some fuse to the box and that was all, I dint used the black wire neither; the scosche box has place for 4 speakers to use as input but only one was enough to get the sound/signal to my subwoofers.

i would think you would want to connect that second rear speaker input. depending what you are listening to if its in stereo all the bass wouldn't necessarily go to both speakers