Bad Power Steering Pump?

ZeeQuick

A couple of days ago started getting a very loud whining noise from under the hood, almost sounds like the supercharger or a dentist drill. It does change with the RPMs, hear it in neutral or park if you rev the motor. Can hear it over the radio or heater. It will not do it all the time, sometimes I will start the car and drive and never hear it. Other times it kicks in after about five minutes and remains until I park and shut it off. Car runs fine, no hesitation or stumbling. Sounds like its coming from the alternator/supercharger/power steering pump section. If I have it in park and just turn the wheel, the sound amplifies....so I was thinking power steering pump. Haven't checked the fluid, as that sucker is buried. More than likely power steering pump starting to go you think? How much for one of those suckers? 3800 Series II Supercharged btw.

Put some Lucas in there

Don't do this. Lucas will help for a very short period of time. Then it will turn your PS fluid into a separated mixture of good and fluid which will ruin your pump. I had this happen on my Jeep. Each time I replaced the pump I flushed everything as much as I could, but I would find the same thing after driving with the new pump on for a few months. Finally, the last time, I took everything off the Jeep and flushed it clean. Lucas is garbage. Several of my buddies working at the dealership laughed at me because they told me not to do it and had seen similar things. I was broke and in college at the time and thought this would be the cheap way out. It end up costing me more $$ and a ton of time in the long run. If it leaks, replace it. Fix it right and forget about it.

or whif the accessory belt off and run it for a minute and see if the noise is gone.

don't run it any longer though, no waterpump = unhappy car.

With these cars, I'd frankly be more worried about it being the transmission pump. Can you pinpoint which side iof the engine by it's coming from?

I fear that that's what my noise is. Mine whines like the typical 3800, but the fluid is full...AND the pump is brand new...and it still whines. :(

I've had even new pumps whine, the last one I had on the bonneville was a brand new reman, that whined like a wookie for 6 months, I took it back and put a used one on, been golden since.

Its not the transmission pump. Coming from the passenger side of the motor, I can tell you that much. Really seems to come and go, but you can definitely hear it get whinier when making a turn. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yeah, so its amazing what a little power steering fluid will do. Pulled out the cap and the stick was dry. Added fluid and sound is gone. Gotta love it when its something simple. Damn used cars.

With these cars, I'd frankly be more worried about it being the transmission pump. Can you pinpoint which side iof the engine by it's coming from?

I fear that that's what my noise is. Mine whines like the typical 3800, but the fluid is full...AND the pump is brand new...and it still whines. :(

I'd say pull the belt and see if it still whines. If it does not, then check the alternator. I have had the bearings on a couple of them go bad and each time the sound seemed to be something different. Hell, I replace the PS pump on my truck because I was sure that was making noise (The pitch even changed when you opened the reservoir, but it was the alt all along.

I'd say pull the belt and see if it still whines. If it does not, then check the alternator. I have had the bearings on a couple of them go bad and each time the sound seemed to be something different. Hell, I replace the PS pump on my truck because I was sure that was making noise (The pitch even changed when you opened the reservoir, but it was the alt all along.

I thought about the alternator, but I'm pretty sure that's fairly recent. I'm going through my receipts to see for sure.

Mine whines like the typical 3800, but the fluid is full...AND the pump is brand new...and it still whines. :(

I love this little whine 3800's make, I don't know why. It's unique to it, me thinks. :)