Grim diagnosis; 2006 Monte Carlo LT, 150K; Fully stripped pics pg 7!!

Night Fury

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• 88red4cyl

• RobertISaar

• BXX

i can't speak for the LZE, but i'm fairly sure the non-VVT 3500 (LX9) still got the shitty gaskets. but i have yet to hear about problems with the VVT motors concerning the LIMg, so i'd day you're good.

i can't speak for the LZE, but i'm fairly sure the non-VVT 3500 (LX9) still got the shitty gaskets. but i have yet to hear about problems with the VVT motors concerning the LIMg, so i'd day you're good.

There should never be a problem with the LIM gaskets on these motors... They redesigned the system to where coolant only runs through the heads now...

"I'm Good"? What are you talking about?

Shitty! Get the heads machined too.

And 2006 isn't that bad for the engine to have issues lol....

The shit pile Aveo/Swift+ I've replaced HEADS on them with 8000km (yes, only one oil change and a bit). They normally crack around 20,000km, or they'll do it at 40,000km..or they don't do it at all. Try telling a customer their car that is 3 months old has a cracked head already...

The shit pile Aveo/Swift+ I've replaced HEADS on them with 8000km (yes, only one oil change and a bit). They normally crack around 20,000km, or they'll do it at 40,000km..or they don't do it at all. Try telling a customer their car that is 3 months old has a cracked head already...

Why would I get the heads machined?

Why would I get the heads machined?

I think hes just talking about getting them milled to check for warpage.

Yes get the updated kit that comes with new head bolts from the dealer that the TSB states. Dealer should know right away..

And yes, the LIM is redesigned, but it has nothing to do with it failing. And yup, coolant doesnt run through the LIMs on these engines..

Buck, dont worry, come spring Im gonna have to do them on our 06 Impala with 65K on it... Its very common for them to leak externally..

cracked? are they iron heads or what? aluminum shouldn't crack under almost any circumstance...

Tell that to the 3.1 in my 89 Regal :lol:

Cracked in between the valves on 5 out of 6 of the chambers. Granted, I have a feeling that there was something up when I bought the car, but still. Either way...it was a good learning experience on how to do the heads on a 3.1

Wait.....so even the new generation 60* have gasket issues including headgaskets?!

WTF, why can't GM design a gasket for the life of them?

They didn't use big enough headbolts on the corner for this issue...

BUUUUUUT then again.... we've been having problems with it for like a year... so you could safely say it started 35,000-40,000 miles ago.

Mine has 98k on it, and its leaking from the same spot as well, which would be around the same mileage yours started at... Granted I haven't had the issues your mom has, but I'm sure if I leave it like that for a long time I will...

Ours had 60K and the headgasket is leaking..

I saw one at work today with 39K and it was leaking

:facepalm: Lets go back to SBCs please...

At the very least...they are leaking externally and not causing serious engine damage like the LIMG's on the 3x00's.