• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DefEddie

• pontiac6ksteawd

• Garrett Powered

• Addicted to eaton

Well,quick update about no update. :rolleyes:

Life going on,so car sits in front of the door of my shop under a tarp.

Am going to try and gets back onto it maybe xmas day.

Driving me nuts that I haven't been able to do anything,keep walking past it into the shop.

So no more news,haven't even got back to yanking the seats.

And yeah,pop tarts are the shiz-especially if you have kids.

We buy em buy the case along with capri sun drinks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,finally got the car in the shop.

Got exhaust dropped,Radiator and fans out,headlight's,wiring and support out,condensor out,dogbones out,Master cylinder out,along with various other stuff under the hood.

Just need to pull the steering shaft coupler and should be good to drop the subframe out.

Didn't think I would have time to dedicate to it this week though so I lent my brother in law my cherry picker to swap an engine in a camaro.

Surprising how fast it went,I've only got about 3hrs of time on it since I pulled it in the shop.

Should have had it done in 3hrs,but my buddy that came over to help was having baby-momma drama and his ear stuck to the phone the whole time.

He can be credited with pulling the two upper bolts from the left headlight though.

I'll take a pic of the unused parts pile in case anybody needs anything.

Well,spent another hour with it yesterday and then today another hour and all that needs to be done is the body lifted off the subframe.

Started to do it with my shop jack,but need two people or and engine hoist to lift slowly and evenly to free any snags.

My brother in law is bringing my cherry picker back today,and I will hopefully have another hour to spend with it tomorrow (weather permitting also).

Gonna lift the front,yank out the subframe-unbolt the powertrain assembly,slam the subframe back in and bolt the struts back up and steering shaft.

A little tip about the steering shaft also,it has a damn sleeve around the whole thing.

There's no way to pull it back to reach the coupler bolt,and nothing can be done inside either(and I had the column dropped already even).

A buddy at my dealership was a GM tech in the 90's and told me how.

Apparently all you have to do is drop the rear subframe a bit to allow the shaft to extend-sleeve slid up and bolt was easily accessible with my 3/8" impact,3in extension and an 11mm wobble socket.

I won't be rolling the car outside yet though,I'm going to do some quick comparison's of the braking systems between the W body and the fiero to see if anything can be adapted easily.

Also contemplating dissassembling the rack and pinion to see if it's interchangeable with the fiero units (the tgp has a slightly tighter ratio.)

And of course I have not touched the interior again other than to start and drive the car into the shop.

It drove me crazy,and i've still not got that damn seat bolt out.

Someone gave me a tip about using a 12pt 8mm so I put my floppy ratchet 8mm in my pocket at work and haven't a clue what happened to it after. GRRRRR

But dash will be pulled and I'll possibly be using the HUD unit,jury is still out on the cluster.

If it said "McLaren" on it I would use it for sure.

• 2 years later...

Hehe,remember me?

Still got that car,look at it everytime metal goes up but can't bring myself to take it.

Have bought and sold at least 8 different cars since and still haven't completed the motor swap for fiero.

Ended up going a bit overboard with rebuild,then sidetracked by other stuff.

Finally able to pull it back to 3rd on my priority list (fiero barely alive),got sidetracked with family issues for quite awhile.

Will be posting a couple parts for sale,so keep an eye on sale section for anything you might be interested in.