thePest

I have been trying so hard to get my TGP up and running. I've already had to replace half of the engine. I just bought the ABS system from Prior, and had it installed, but my ABS light won't go off and the brakes make this clicking sound and hardly stop. From reading the other posts on this site I think it's the pressure switch. It gives ABS code 03 as the problem, but that is some diode. Pontiac has no idea what the problem is,so I turn to your combined knowledge. :( hopefully I can get my car stopping now that I got it going.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a diode that is connected to the relay. I think that clicking is the relay. I'm at school, so I cannot check the wiring diagrams to tell you for sure.

Jason

I have been trying so hard to get my TGP up and running. I've already had to replace half of the engine. I just bought the ABS system from Prior, and had it installed, but my ABS light won't go off and the brakes make this clicking sound and hardly stop. From reading the other posts on this site I think it's the pressure switch. It gives ABS code 03 as the problem, but that is some diode. Pontiac has no idea what the problem is,so I turn to your combined knowledge. :( hopefully I can get my car stopping now that I got it going.

There is a diode inline with the front enable relay. It allows the relay contacts to ground the ABS warning light, as well as the abs module. That way if the computer loses power, the abs light will come on. But it keeps the warning light cicuit from being fed voltage form the front enable relay when it is working.

If your brakes hardly stop, and the pedal is hard, the diode probably isn't your answer. The booster section of the PMIII is fairly isolated from the abs fucntions and should function normally to stop the car.

Well, does anyone know how to order just the diode? Pontiac said my car doesn't have one, but Pep Boys says that is what the problem is. Should I just repkace that and the pressure switch?

How much current does the diode need to handle?

You can get diodes any place that sells electronics.

Very little. Its only in the ground line for the relay, so it blocks alot of current one direction (relay engaged) but only carries current from the indicator light in the other (relay contacts grounded). I don't even know where the diode is to be honest.

Do you guys think I can make do without it? :roll: I'm not sure how reliable the breaks are without it. I do hear something like a little motor when I press my breaks down. It goes on for a second. The car stops just not fast. I have to mash the breaks and it slowly comes to a stop. I haven't driven it faster than 30 mph while brake testing. It's been sitting at the shop for a month now. I want it back, but nobody kows jack about the car. :evil: not even the dumba$$es at pontiac have been any help. You guys are all I got. Thanks for all the info that's on this site and Chris A's. It is a god send I would have dropped this project a loooonnnng time ago. :D

Do you guys think I can make do without it? :roll: I'm not sure how reliable the breaks are without it. I do hear something like a little motor when I press my breaks down. It goes on for a second. The car stops just not fast. I have to mash the breaks and it slowly comes to a stop. I haven't driven it faster than 30 mph while brake testing. It's been sitting at the shop for a month now. I want it back, but nobody kows jack about the car. :evil: not even the dumba$$es at pontiac have been any help. You guys are all I got. Thanks for all the info that's on this site and Chris A's. It is a god send I would have dropped this project a loooonnnng time ago. :D

The easiest thing is to replace the diode and see what happens. Its located under the right side of the dash, probably in a holder of some sort. Its a gray/white wire.

Its hard to tell, but I think you have a major braking problem, not just a diode. It sounds like the motor is trying to run when you step on the brakes which could mean a couple of different things. No accumulator pressure, no pump pressure, bad booster metering valve, bad pressure switch not allowing enough pressure, no boost pressure to rear brakes, or bad rear brakes. What dealership is it at? Maybe I could talk to them and try and figure out exactly what is going on.

Need to know, run time after powermaster is fully discharged and key is turned on. How many time can you press the pedal lightly and not have the motor run. What warning lights are on. Does it stop the back brakes. Do you have to STAND (I mean with both feet standing on the pedal) on the pedal to make it stop, or is it just mushy feeling and takes extra effort. If the back brakes don't work, then the brakes will feel weak. If the powermaster is provding any assist, the brakes will be hard and take a TON of effort to stop. If you discharge the PMIII, remove the cover and turn on the key, how much fluid does it suck down while its running. Are the rear calipers corroded or do they slide freely.