'98 Lumina Headlight Swap

boulevard

Well, after a few months of having a broken headlight on Mrs. bOuLeVaRd's '98 Lumina, I finally decided to go to the junk yard and look for one to replace it before winter hits. The bulbs weren't burnt out or non-functional, surprising because they've been exposed to rain and ice already. Here's some pics of todays events.

None of the Luminas I found had a crystal clear headlight that weren't broken. I finally ran across a Monte Carlo Z34 with one.

1019091421.th.jpg

Without any tools (I left them in the car to not have to lug them around with me all day to end up not finding a headlight) I was able to remove the winged screws with my bare "manly" hands. Ouch! I got it out. *Picture as I was arm pumping my success.

1019091428.th.jpg

Went and paid for it, $41.43 WTF!! Chicago Junkyards are expensive! Then went outside to replace it there on the spot.

1019091503.th.jpg

1019091504.th.jpg

1019091520.th.jpg

The damaged metal on the fender gave me a hard time installing the new headlight. I had to pry it back to shape and force the light into place. I got it done but I was bleeding by the end. I pinched the skin on the top of my index finger. It peeled away pretty far. I'm in pain. Home surgery was required. I'll be okay. :mrgreen:

1019091521.th.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Headlights are so easy to do these days... and wow you paid $41?? I bought two brand new ones (well they were brand new "made in Taiwan" ones) but they were $65 shipped for both.

But when you need one in a pinch, you just kind of go for whatever gets you by.

Yeah sucks about the damage because otherwise thats like a 30 second (pain free) job haha

You're right! I already did it once before on the same car with the same light, without a problem! The first one was cloudy and yellowed and replaced it with a nice clear one. Then she got hit in a parking lot and now I had to do it again. Sucks! Finger stings like ass.