1988 Grand Prix 2.8 to 3100 swap

1988 Grand Prix

Actually, I have a 3100 from a '00 Malibu.

Is there a whole lot of difference between the two motors?

shouldn't be, they are both N-bodies of the same generation...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988 Grand Prix

• Crazy K

• RobertISaar

• Dark Ride

It is if I want too.

I have taken enough crap about my car from another guy on the 660 forums. If you dont have any constructive advice or suggestions, please don't reply.

Thank you.

that is a kinda down on heels car....

but, i see alot of issues to worry about...

you do have the better rear EXHAUST manifold. You could grab a dowpipe from a 97and up Gen 1 or 1.5W...

EGR: you need to make or use an adapter to allow you to use the OBD1 EGR (unless you are going OBDII?)

PS pump: I don't think it will swap, you may need to get one from a 3100

coolant bypass pipe it missing, you need it.

Alternator: could go either way. either get and use a 3100 one and the 3100 bracket, which will require changing the alternator plug (not hard) or use your 2.8 alt and it;s bracket, it is will mount up, which it may.

Oh BTW,

Will my 2.8L exhaust manifolds fit the 3100? I would really like to use the stock exhaust location.

I've heard that I would have to have a exhaust shop custom fab a downpipe if I used the 3100 manifolds. I want to stay away from that if possible.

Yes, you can use your 2.8 manifolds if you want. I used the TGP manifolds on my 3400 heads. Just takes a little time with a carbide burr and a die grinder. They will bolt right up, the exhaust port shape changed to a D shape from circular which is what you need to grind. Here's mine, hogged out.

ry%3D480

See if you can find which one I started on one upside down... :redface:

Personally I would use the newer manifolds, they were made for that motor. Maybe I missed something but why would you need custom manifold/downpipe to use the 3100 ones? Couldn't you just have an exhaust shop wield to the back of the downpipe to hook up to the old system?

It is if I want too.

I would've done it to my first car, which was a base model '90 GP LE. I give him props :cheers: You should take a picture of the digi dash, I've never seen one in a GP.

I bet. You said your's was a '90 Limited Edition coupe, right? It would have had more options on it than mine.

The only options mine has is the digital dash, A/C, and automatic transmission. Other than that, it is plain as vanilla. :razz:

Well, I got the radiator drained. I got a new driver's seat installed.

I went to work on it last night, but the trunk was locked and I didn't have my keys. I know, it has a trunk release handle inside the car, but like so much of that car, it's broken.

On a lighter note, I might be getting a new truck on tuesday.

2004 Ford F150 - 4.2L V6, 5 spd. tranny, 124,000 miles. One helluva truck! :burnout: