3800 fuel economy

Imp558

X2 on the oxygen sensor suggestion. On my LeBaron, fuel mileage had dropped 5 miles per gallon, no codes. Replacing the oxygen sensor gained that back, plus a couple of extra MPG as well...the sensor paid for itself within a few weeks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Imp558

• RobertISaar

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

On my car i can average about 28 if i really try- but that's when i'm really trying. This tank I'm on now might average around 22 since i've been having fun with the car. Once when i was taking a roadtrip, i filled up beforehand and was going about 80 the whole way (but i was drafting behind people) and i got about 26 mpg. I think my car is ready for a tune-up since it has stock coils and wires.

Can seafoam make a big difference in gas mileage?

oh yeah, X3 on the oxygen sensor.

Latley I've been keeping under 2K RPM as best I can and with the overdrive, as opposed to my usual launch at every stop sign up through 1st gear. :burnout: and my economy has been fine, im too lazy to get any numbers, but its not as bad as it was before.

So which o2 sensor needs changed?

The front one is the one that would need changed... From my understanding of how this system works, the back one is there solely for the purpose of telling the car that the cat is working correctly.. It has no bearing on fuel economy...

The front one is the one that would need changed... From my understanding of how this system works, the back one is there solely for the purpose of telling the car that the cat is working correctly.. It has no bearing on fuel economy...

Gotcha, and the front one is the one right by the rear spark plugs, correct?

I can't remember exactly, but its somewhere in that area...

Well, I broke the 20 barrier with 20.9 mpg! Now I'm continuing my study of different fuels and I'm watching my driving habits a little more closely.

Right now I'm moving on to 87 octane to see if it makes a difference. I now know with certainty that in my area United Refining fuel (Citgo and Kwik-Fill) does not contain any Ethanol and it was United 89 that gave me my best mileage yet. Sheets was the worst so far, weighing in at 16 mpg.

I can't remember exactly, but its somewhere in that area...

Yeah, the front O2 is right where the crossover pipe on a 3800 hits the right side exhaust manifold. The rear O2 is behind the converter.

at shell theres a sign on the pumps that say "reg contains up to 10% ethanol, mid grade contains up to 5% and V-power premium contains no ethanol." like i said before the V-Power gives me insanely good gas milage for a series 1 3800

Holy shit O2 sensors are $$$!

You have to look at an O2 as a hopeful investment in fuel savings. The ECT is a sound investment too in my mind. I ran some 87 and lost 1 MPG from the 89 so I'm testing 93 right now. Once I have a base line I'll do the math down to miles per $ and see what works best. The 87 made a difference in my car and just felt more sluggish which is a problem since I'm already unhappy with low end power on the 3800. I've been looking for shell but most of them are closed here in my town, once I find one I'll run some premium. Stopped at an Exxon yesterday and drove away when I saw the ETHANOL sticker on the pump.

I'm already unhappy with low end power on the 3800.

I'm not sure about series II's but with series one's, the engine likes to have a little back pressure, it helps with gas mileage and low end torque, it's well worth it even though some top end power (that it already doesn't have) goes away. That's why on a series I, you NEVER delete the stock catalytic converter.