died out, restarts but runs like butt FIXED!

killinprixs

i posted over at TGPforums but this site might have more traffic so here it goes.

fuel pressure between 40-45 new filter

new cps

no fuel found in regulator

code 45 (rich exhaust)

A/f guage indicated lean 16-22:1 at idle, anything over 1/4 throttle and it dies out.

swapped ecm and prom

car was running perfect then started bogging down, wouldnt run over 1/4 throttle , stopped boosting. Fuel pump was replaced in 05 and appears to be functioning (via tester guage). I have not changed the injectors or ICM/coils because i havnt had to yet... now might be the time. any suggestions welcome. THanks! What is totally BS is that i was ON my way to the strip to run the car.... GO FIGURE!

I run a seperate wideband LC1. its definately not the narrowband, my ecm will run fine without it if that was the problem, i tried unplugging sensors to notice any difference, 02, tps, knock... no difference. its not the map because no code 33. It seems the only things left are injectors and ICM. Im going to swap in a new ICM and coils to see if that fixes it. Next up will be removing the intake and ohming the injectors. It makes more sense to do both of these before i go dropping the tank... i just put 7 gallons of 93 in there :motz2: i have plenty of fuel pressure but its not getting to the motor via injectors or maybe faulty ICM is preventing the injectors from pulsing? I just drove the car home a few miles from where it was parked... wouldnt go over 1/8th throttle ... 25 mph, glad its back safe at least!

Well after new ICM/coils and CPS i decided to ohm the injectors! found two that were bad, 4.9 and 2.1! The others were 12.2-12.4, one was 12.1 but i think thats ok. So i swapped them out and the car ran perfect! I dont understand how they could have gone bad so suddenly like that!

The old multecs are just plain crappy a lot of times...especially after all these years. If they don't leak, they fail electronically or vice versa(or they both leak & fail electronically). :lol: It seems like about 50% of everyones TGP issues lately have been injector related.

yea im glad i had a spare set of old tgp injectors and it does run good but im still going to grab some yellow tops for it. I noticed the car starts a little better now and idles better 2 :razz: :razz: :razz:

if stock multecs are so bad though, why was I able to do 0-60 runs all last summer in less than 7 seconds with almost 100k miles on an all original untouched motor with only a top gun chip and a K/N cone for mods?

if stock multecs are so bad though, why was I able to do 0-60 runs all last summer in less than 7 seconds with almost 100k miles on an all original untouched motor with only a top gun chip and a K/N cone for mods?

:dunno: why wouldn't you be able to do it last summer? were you supposed to be grounded or something?

3 injectors went bad now so I guess that aint sayin much.

now I am trying to get 28#'ers to work. :redface:

:dunno: why wouldn't you be able to do it last summer? were you supposed to be grounded or something?

:lol: should be able to do close to that or better if your car is running good.my best was 6.6secs. 0-60 mph. quarter mile times search lists the 89 tgp tested at 15.3 in the 1/4 and 0-60 in 7.2 sec.

keep in mind that I've testing "perfecty running cars" that have out of spec injectors. just because an injector is out of spec doesn't mean that it can't get you going down the road, but rather that it will die soon.

They're not ALWAYS bad. Mine functioned perfectly fine besides leaking. Knowing that so many early multecs suffer from electronic failure, I went ahead and opted to buy a new set of ford/bosch injectors instead of having my stock injectors cleaned.

Sub 7 second 0-60 runs with a topgun chipped stock TGP regardless of mileage are normal in decent conditions...there have been people here with 200K+ TGP's with topgun chips still running the same times as the rest of us with lower mileage cars.

nah, the injectors go bad thats when you throw the car away and buy another mint condition low mileage one for 2 grand. :lol:

I am actually leaving tonight for san fransisco where there is one right now. I might just be driving an 80k black/tan 90 across the golden gate bridge and up through the redwood forest tomorrow along the California coastal highway.

not serious about throwing anything away obviously.

wasn't worth buying.

friggin liars, the car had been wrecked and not repaired correctly. and mice infested. urine smell BAD!

californians are so bad. all around bad. I hope theres an earthquake and that state falls off in the ocean. I went to see 4 different tgps on 4 different trips down there and got burned each time.