a/c compressor replace- how much oil to add??

douellette

im replacing the compressor on my car and i need to know how much pag oil to add to it when i replace it? im planning on doing this tomorow so responses asap would be great. thanks.

get some cups... and...

remove the old compressor from the vehicle.

Drain all the fluid out of the port on the back into a cup, turn the compressor by hand while doing so to help evacuate fluid.

Remove a bolt on the side of the compressor to drain the internal fluid into another cup.

Is this a new compressor you are putting on?

If new, it may already have fluid inside, drain it into another clean cup, and it will be safe to remove and re-use if kept clean. If used, drain as above.

Put about the same amount back in as the original had in each location. You must put at least 2 ounces in even if you did not get two ounces out.

I turn the compressor by hand to make sure fluid gets around.. and install on the car.

Don't forget to replace or clean the orifice tube, which is the filter for the a/c system. it is located on the drivers side frame rail at a joint below the cruise control.

When I did mine, I got a GM compressor. I emptyed the stuff they put in there from the factory and put that exact amount back in and a little extra along with some in the lines for the seals.

Mark

the cans I used were 8oz each, so yeah, two cans.

Oh, ok. When you said can I was thinking of the size I have, 32oz. When you put in that oil, did you replace any parts? If not, you probably have double the oil in there than you're supposed to have. I'm not certain, but I think the only drawback of too much oil is poor cooling performance. Too little oil could damage the compressor.

the cans I used were 8oz each, so yeah, two cans.

Oh, ok. When you said can I was thinking of the size I have, 32oz. When you put in that oil, did you replace any parts? If not, you probably have double the oil in there than you're supposed to have. I'm not certain, but I think the only drawback of too much oil is poor cooling performance. Too little oil could damage the compressor.

I did replace the accumulator, orifice tube, and all of the o-rings in the system, but did not drain the compressor. Would there have been much oil left in the compressor?

I did replace the accumulator, orifice tube, and all of the o-rings in the system, but did not drain the compressor. Would there have been much oil left in the compressor?

When you replace the accumulator you're only supposed to add 3.5oz. Of course there's no way to tell how much is really in every part without draining and measuring them all, but it's at least a good guess as to how much oil should have been in it. If you had a large refrigerant leak you should add 3oz, plus whatever is suggested for the part(s) you replace.

This is what my '92 Cutlass manual says, it's r12 but r134 is similar.

Evaporator: 3oz

Condenser: 1oz

Accumulator: 3.5oz

Compressor: Drain old compressor and measure oil. If you measured less than 1oz, add 2oz to the new compressor. If you measured more than 1oz, add that same ammount to the new compressor.