Help, still can't drop the sub frame!

PanamaZ34

OK, had an hour this morning, so thought I'd have another go at changing the alternator on the Z34. Removed the fan belt (probably not the approved way, still can't see anything resembling a tensioner, but there was a useless wheel with a central bolt that I could remove before prying the wheel off and removing the belt - doesn't seem to be any way it could be used to adjust the tension, but WTF, it worked). But, I'm back to the same problem I had last week, both passenger side sub-frame bolts removed, but it still won't drop far enough to get at the alternator! Nothing visibly snagging the engine or anything, my previous idea of loosening the driver's side bolts to see if that would give the frame enough play to drop further won't fly ay least at the moment (bolts seized, no breaker bar this weekend, so can't loosen them, though I'm seeing if some WD40 will make any difference, and might be able to try again later today). Short of climbing on top and jumping on the engine, does anyone have any bright ideas?

Plenty of play in all the wires. Thought it might be the top engine mount, which looked pretty twisted with the frame lowered, so removed it, but it still won't even drop far enough to get the lowest alternator bolt (which I loosened before lowering it) off under the heater line. Still can't even see the second bolt!

once you have the alternator unbloted completely it can slide out. you may need to remove the shield around the axle (3 10mm) it is a tight fit but it can happen.

When all else fails, consult Haynes! According to Haynes, there are loads of things that should be disconnected, some of which don't make much sense, and I certainly don't want to be removing (power steering lines, front exhaust pipe and catalytic converter assembly etc), but the air filter might just be enough to prevent the engine from dropping. I'll give that a try next weekend. Failing that, I'm just going to have to get a mechanic out to help. This thing is driving me up the wall! I did eventually get the long bolt out, but I just cannot get at the second bolt (either from above with the sub-frame in place, or from below with the frame lowered).

Once I can get at the alternator, I'm sure there will be other problems - I can only see (and get at) 1 bolt holding the CV joint heat shield in place, I have no puller for the tie rod etc. But, I'm sure I can get round these if I can see the end in sight ...... it is just so ******* frustrating at the moment!

Are you supposed to lower the passenger-side subframe? Granted, it's been 6-7yrs since I changed the alternator on one of those cars so maybe you're doing it right, but I thought when I did it, I lowered the rear of the subframe. That involved loosening the front bolts, removing the rears, and unbolting the pinch bolt on the column. That might have been to fix something else, but I really don't remember ever lowering the subframe sideways.