My Car handles better than yours!!!!!

mra32

We offer a spring helper. This will over on top of the spring so that it wont come unseated when the wheel is off the ground. WE sell them for $40 each.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

• AWeb80

• mra32

im gonna make something up with springs from mcmaster, plate aluminum and a lathe...possibly some hose clamps should come out to about $45 - $50 for the set. I just havent come up with a design i'm fully satisfied with

I know exactly what the problem with these sleeves over is. The housing and sleeve are not attached. They need to be. With that being said, you can lower the car 3" but the shock can only handle a 1.5" drop. So after that your shocks are garbage.

I honestly don't think there'a single or even a few mods that made the biggest difference. They all work together, like supporting mods. once you get the sway bars on, you need poly bushings or you won't benefit as much, and the strut tower bars so your body doesn't twist. You can have all o those and blown shocks and everything would be useless. You need to have a combination of upgrades to make it worthwhile.

I know exactly what the problem with these sleeves over is. The housing and sleeve are not attached. They need to be. With that being said, you can lower the car 3" but the shock can only handle a 1.5" drop. So after that your shocks are garbage.

Thats why I ended up using epoxy to bond the sleeve to my rear struts, It never moves now. I dont ever have any issues with my spring coming unseated either.

Im at about 2" drop in my rear right now with no issues from my struts, though any farther will pretty much turn it into a paperwieght. Thats why I have been looking into Koni inserts (not really bad prices either) and using a slightly modified housing. Im not looking for full race or anything like that, just a street car on a repectable budget that can also endure track usage without issues.

It really doesnt take too much to get our cars to handle very well. Like Andrei said, its not a few mods really, its the whole picture.

And after driving my car yesterday after doing a alignment and increasing caster to just 2.4*, I can say the alignment will be the key! Just the small change I did resulted in a lot of stability and steering response. I cant wait to get Marks front and rear C/O mounts so I can get some more caster!

1993 GP - 3.8 S/C

RAT- FSTB

ES bushings on stock big FE bar

KYB Shocks / Struts

Intraxx Front Monte Springs

Rear Trailing Arm GMPP

Rear Coil overs

Qa1 - 175 progress rate springs to 350

2nd gen lateral and spindle rods

ES bushings (in lat's and Spind)

1993 GP - 3.8 S/C

RAT- FSTB

ES bushings on stock big FE bar

KYB Shocks / Struts

Intraxx Front Monte Springs

Rear Trailing Arm GMPP

Rear Coil overs

Qa1 - 175 progress rate springs to 350

2nd gen lateral and spindle rods

ES bushings (in lat's and Spind)

Hey, you saw my front and rear strut tower braces at the Dayton meet.. Who made them again?? I cant remember who you said you thought made them..

OK... I'll bite...

Front;

Poly Dog bone

ES Poly Sway bar bushing

New OEM control arm bushings (were installed before anyone figured out the poly mod)

Held Front coil overs c/w 350lb springs

KYB GR-2 struts

Buick F-bar

Rear;

PST 7/8" Sway bar with PST PolyGraphite bushings (I made custom mounts to stop binding issues)

Held tubular Trailing arms (with greasable poly bushings)

Held tubular lateral links (with greasable poly bushings)

Held rear coil overs c/w 300lb springs

KYB GR-2 struts

AWEB RSTB

Tires;

P245-45-R16 Hankook RS2

Mounted to Crosslaces

Coming soon (as soon as time and money permits)

-Marks new upper mounts

-350Lb springs going to the back, 400lb springs up front

-Poly control arm bushings (control arms will be PC'd at the same time)

-Poly sub frame mounts (still have to find someone to make these)

-1 inch bolt on spacers to widen track width

Misc notes...

I have never had issues with springs coming unseated.

I used a dab of silicone to stop the threaded sleeves from moving (as per held instructions)

Jamie

poly bone is not a handling mod :lol:

OK... I'll bite...

Front;

Poly Dog bone

Jamie

:nana:

I got carried away with the poly stuff!

Jamie

my struts and mounts are practically new kyb gr2's. my monoleaf was great before it broke. I cannot get the rear end to kick out no matter how hard I take a turn and let off the gas.

Really? At ALL? How is that possible?

with the Addco bar, the TGP will oversteer if I lift during hard cornering, but pulls out of it if you roll back into the throttle.

with the Addco bar, the TGP will oversteer if I lift during hard cornering, but pulls out of it if you roll back into the throttle.

Hence the need for my poly control arm bushing mod!

my struts and mounts are practically new kyb gr2's. my monoleaf was great before it broke. I cannot get the rear end to kick out no matter how hard I take a turn and let off the gas.

Magic.

Magic.

Ha ha.

I just find that hard to believe

Magic.

Ha ha.

I just find that hard to believe

Did Adam give you a ride in his car?

I have, for all it matters, the exact same suspension. If anything, I have the added anti-sway feature of the rear leaf spring, as he is on coil overs. His car also weighs more.

Ask Adam how hard it is for him to kick out the back end of his car now. You have to be trying REALLY hard.

My ass end stays planted with the RS-2s on there...

But with my old all season tires my ass end would break loose every now and then.

Jamie

Jamie, good point. it also matters what tires you're using. with good tires and the kind of mods we have, you have to really try hard to get the back end to lose it.

This isnt a who has the biggest stick thread...more of a impressions of what you done and how it compares to everything else. Everyone on here has heard enough bragging about what suspension mods everyone else has done, but this would be a good place to get feedback on suspension mods as a whole, which ones are the best and how your car compares to any other car

This isnt a who has the biggest stick thread...more of a impressions of what you done and how it compares to everything else. Everyone on here has heard enough bragging about what suspension mods everyone else has done, but this would be a good place to get feedback on suspension mods as a whole, which ones are the best and how your car compares to any other car

I understand the purpose of the thread. The problem is most people on here don't have the money to try mods to get a feeling for what they feel like in comparison to other mods. Someone with a Birchmount might not know what coil overs feels like.

Jamie

Bone stock.

Handles just fine for me. It tends to wallow and get unsettled in curves on uneven pavement (esp on this one section of 71 North getting onto 270 west north of Columbus), and has a lot of plow in hard turns, but I don't blame it.

Might do some mods once I get this Disco fixed and built up.

BONE STOCK as well! and BOY do I love it. Sure I wouldn't mind a few mods here and there, but I can still take my car around hairpin curves at 30 mph, with minimal tire squeal. THat and I kinda like how the car's weight shifts when going around tight turns. It makes the car more predictable, in what it's about to do, so it keeps down the surprises during excessive handling. :mrgreen:

being somewhat cheap and broke at the same time, I bought two used Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's, and stuck them up front. A Tigerpaw and a Dominator are on back. The Goodyears being directional, I can get them to understeer all day in the rain. But I have yet to get them to understeer on dry pavement. I have pushed it pretty hard, and the only squeal I have ever heard from them is under either A: Acceleration, or B: Braking. Never have I heard them squeal in a turn.