Is this GTP worth it?

supertrick_05

Well first off, this style GP is my favorite by far (91-93 and 94-96) and want one for my next car. This car is my brother's old '91 GTP. I'm not sure how many miles are on it, but it's in decent shape. He said the motor ran good sometimes, and then ran like shit sometimes. He told me what it was, but I don't remember. Said when he replaced the part, it kept on blowing fuses and might be in the wiring. It is an original 5-speed car, but the tranny needs work. He said the power seats worked and the HUD worked as well. I'd kinda like to get it and restore it, but not sure it's worth it, and not sure how much work it needs. I'm selling my Dodge Neon and whatever I get for it (won't go any lower than $7,500) will go into the car, if I decide to buy it. Here's some pics:

p_00135.jpg

p_00136.jpg

p_00137.jpg

p_00138.jpg

p_00139.jpg

p_00140.jpg

p_00141.jpg

p_00142.jpg

p_00143.jpg

p_00144.jpg

p_00145.jpg

p_00147.jpg

He said the guy would let it go for $300, but I was gonna offer him $200. Think this is a worthy restoration project, or am I better off finding a nice GP?

I am going to venture a guess and say that the frame is horribly rusty as well (due to sitting in the weeds, and the look of the battery tray)... Honestly, I would go find a nicer GTP and start from there... From the amount of work that thing is going to take to get it nice, you could just buy a more expensive nicer one...

it is a 5 speed 91, which is a relatively rare car

so either

1: strip it to use the parts on a car with a much better body.

or

2 get ready for big project. the good news is that the rust you see if probably the only rust on the car, and appears to be from a battery that leaked out. but get the car jacked up and make sure the rear suspension and unibody are solid. inspect it well. solid means salvation, and rusted out means time to scrap.

And before you start you should also take the timing belt inspection cover off and see if the belt looks good on not. (two 10 or 8 mm bolts)

offer $200. go up to $250 if you must. scrap is low.

Trans will be the biggest issue.

Best case you are looking at it only needing a clutch set, or a slave or master cyl, all of which have their steeper pricetags.

worst case the transmission is bad and well unless you can track down a good working one you are SOL, rebuild parts simply do not exist at the moment.

could be a cool, fun car. and 3.4/MT is a whole lota fun, but honestly you may be further ahead for parting it or passing, But don't let that discourage you if you decide to take on the challenge.

He told me what the problem was with the tranny...and again, I forgot. It's some shaft that needs to be replaced. I was just going to buy it for the transmission and throw it in a nicer GTP and part the rest of the car out, but I'm not sure. That's probably the way to go though...it has to be worth something with that transmission!

find out what exactly it needs, 5 speed swaps are a ton of work, but sooo rewarding when all done.

if you decide to part it, i'll buy some parts.

If you can pick it up for $200 I'd do it just to part the transmission out. It's definitely worth that with all the little 284 parts that people might need, and are willing to pay for. You'll make your money back just with that, then make more selling wheels, seats, HUD.

Now, if you've got a budget of ~$5000, you can make miracles happen. Sometimes. Of course, it's all up to how much time you want to spend on it. The biggest cosmetic problem (from the pics you've provided) is that crumpled fender. That's not terribly hard to replace. And probably tires and suspension parts. I'd also get it rust treated and undercoated, if it's been sitting for any length of time it'll be rusty, as others have said. Pay special attention to the trailing arm mounts right under the backs of the doors... If those rust out and break, you basically have to resort to welding, and that's never fun, or cheap. I had a car sit in my driveway, 100% stationary for a few months, and the trailing arm just up and broke on me.

It's all up to you, but I'd buy it for $250 almost no questions asked. If the paint is good, and the underbody is acceptable, or repairable, I'd try restoring it.

How long has it been sitting their with the drivers window down???

It is prob worth it to part it out, but it prob needs more work that its worth. Buy it, get it hom and give a closer inspection. You can decide then if you want to part it or fix it.

Buy it, get it hom and give a closer inspection. You can decide then if you want to part it or fix it.

My thoughts exactly. For the price, it's a no-brainer to me. If you get it home, and the thing is a complete pile, it's not like it'll be hard to get your money back out of it (and a whole lot more). If it's savable, you got it at a steal. Honestly, I wouldn't use the battery tray as an indication of how rusty the car is. It's very common for those to rust out on the w-bodies. The rest of it doesn't really look very bad at all. Interior seems clean, and the only cosmetic damage I spotted on the outside was that passenger side front fender, which is a matter of an easy swap with a good one out of the yard, and the driver's side fender, which looks fixable. It won't be hard to find a driver's side mirror, either. I can't quite tell if the gas cap cover is missing, but again, that's a simple, inexpensive fix. The only real question here is the condition of the trans, and I'd be interested in how the PMIII brakes are.

Anyway, I'd pick it up for that little, and give it a closer inspection as suggested.

My brother said that someone was interested in the engine/tranny, and that's all they wanted. He said if that were to happen, I could probably have the rest of the car for free! That would still be worth it for parting it out.