Replacing all Brake lines on a 2nd Gen.

Q-Ball

Blew a line on my 1999 Buick Regal GS about 2 weeks ago. Well yesterday I got under the car and found out all the lines are looking bad. I want to replace them all. I did track down the line that blew goes to the RF wheel.

My questions are: 1) Does anyone know if there is a routing path for them?

2) The brakelines connects to some electrical box from the reservoir and they have flexible braided lines. What is this?

3) Can I cut the line where the braided line runs behind the engine and flare it so I can keep the braided line part?

4) Is there rubber lines with the car? I check out and I couldnt see any. Not sure if any are hidden.

Is there anything else I should know? I do know the bleeding procedure is RR, LF, LR, RF.

I also cant stand how all the lines inter tangle to this electrical box.

"Electrical box" is your ABS module.

There should be rubber lines at each wheel and that would be it.

Ok good, I did think that it maybe had something to do with the ABS. As for the rubber lines, I am going to try and re use them and pray they work. Anyways, going to try and get this done today. Thanks for the response.

• 5 years later...
Blew a line on my 1999 Buick Regal GS about 2 weeks ago. Well yesterday I got under the car and found out all the lines are looking bad. I want to replace them all. I did track down the line that blew goes to the RF wheel.

My questions are: 1) Does anyone know if there is a routing path for them?

2) The brakelines connects to some electrical box from the reservoir and they have flexible braided lines. What is this?

3) Can I cut the line where the braided line runs behind the engine and flare it so I can keep the braided line part?

4) Is there rubber lines with the car? I check out and I couldnt see any. Not sure if any are hidden.

Is there anything else I should know? I do know the bleeding procedure is RR, LF, LR, RF.

I also cant stand how all the lines inter tangle to this electrical box.

Hey Q, if you're still out there. Just wondering if you ever got that break line fixed on you G S, I have same scenario

Hey Q, if you're still out there. Just wondering if you ever got that break line fixed on you G S, I have same scenario

Newbies always bumping 5 year old threads . . .

Yea, but at least he did a search.

Much better then "what does code c1234" mean? - Translation, the poster is an idiot and/or lazy and never heard of Google. :D

I've replaced all of the brake lines in my '92 Achieva and my 2000 Intrigue. For the Intrigue, I got as many of the lines from the dealer that they offered.

Also, to be clear, there are "rubber hoses" in the brake system. There are hoses for the calipers, and some of the cars have a brake hose and hardline single unit brake line - like the lines coming from my ABS unit on my Intrigue. That way, it saves space and is a beter design than using coils to allow for the ABS/MC to body flex.

Time for tons of pictures :):

For my 2000 Intrigue:

I coated the new brake lines with POR-15, and I used Thermo-sleeve on the from brake lines to help protect them from the heat of the exhaust manifolds (that are very close to the brake lines in my Intrigue).

Note, the pictures are not shown in a time-wise or great order.

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic1.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic2.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic3.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic4.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic5.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic6.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic10.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic11.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic12.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic13.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic14.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic15.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_right_brake_line_pic16.jpg

Intrigue_eng_2011_rear_brake_lines.jpg

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

• 2 weeks later...

1. the electrical box you are talking about is the abs module and you should replace the line that are coming out of there. the lines form master to abs module should be fine.

2. the car does have rubber lines at the calipers like another car. but also there is a "5th brake line" that is rubber that is in the front brake line either left or right I forget, its a small piece of rubber that can left out for hard line.

3. if you plan on keeping the car for a while use nickel copper alloy brake line. they will Never rust. it is soft enough to bend by hand. also if you get a big roll and want to straighten it just search, brake line straightener DIY it will save you a ton