rich_e777

uh-huh, all 180HP of tire-shredding goodness(assuming its a L69)... but its fairly easy to put a better motor in it.

I think the base 307 was actually 140, the H.O 307, which was on the 442's was 180.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rich_e777

• RobertISaar

• GnatGoSplat

• xtremerevolution

holy 2 year old thread

but i will add some useful info. here is the only completed and documented build a bout turning a W-body into RWD the car is a second gen though. uses a mustang 8.8 rear and a 4th gen F-body front sub-frame. all with a turbo 3800 series II. he started the build in 06 and finished it late last year

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?29604-RWD-Grand-Prix

there is probably others but i have not seen a big build thread on them. there is also the AWD twin engine cutlass

Edited by Mater

• 2 weeks later...

Its not worth it for the long run unless you have access to a welding torch and are able to fabricate parts cheaply. I bought a `92 coupe from the scrap yard for $50 and stripped it bare to use as a testing platform and no way do i want to do this to my baby only to have to redo alot of the work the way I`d like to drive it if i did go thru with it.

Ive settle for the proven 3800 S/c swap but i want to go the series III route and do the full OBD upgrade.

Currently working on a suspension upgrade but progress is slow as parts aren`t cheap. Did luck up on the rare strut brace from a nice vert and grabbed a swaybar in the process.

I guy i know has an `86 Cutlass coupe that hes doing some work on and im going to compare alot of the body componets and see as someone suggested a few pages and years ago to swap W-body parts onto the previous RWD model (g-body?) and i`ll see how that goes. But it wont be a LT1, i`d rather go with a LS2 or if i had to a LS1. but thats a story for another day.

W-body rwd conversion is not cheap, not easy, not pratical, but would still be extremely cool:thumbsup:

holy 2 year old thread

but i will add some useful info. here is the only completed and documented build a bout turning a W-body into RWD the car is a second gen though. uses a mustang 8.8 rear and a 4th gen F-body front sub-frame. all with a turbo 3800 series II. he started the build in 06 and finished it late last year

there is probably others but i have not seen a big build thread on them. there is also the AWD twin engine cutlass

damn that would be cool, wonder where he got the wheels.

There are plenty more than that.

Silver Z34 mated to a Camaro/Firebird.

Blue 94-96 2 door GP with a rwd northstar, and I believe t56 trans.

Hell... there was a guy on here for a while that had two L67's in his 2 door Cutlass.

It can all be done, just how deep is your wallet.

anything is possible with the money and the skill, if i had the money i would convert my GTP to rwd and the space too, and ive got the skill of welding three and a half years in highschool so i can weld.

93-02 Camaro and Firebird-T/A's are f-body cars..

Wide enough will be the far least of your worries.

Significant changes will need to be made for the rear of a w-body to support an RWD setup..

That's to say the least, and nothing about the front end and tunnel work (structural) that would be needed for a longitudinal engine/trany layout..

W-bodies use a tri-link rear suspension and have no hard points designed to carry an RWD axle, or multi-link I/S differential from a Corvette..

With that said, anything is possible..

Lots of cutting and fabrication will likely be needed to support any RWD setup.

Even more so for some sort Mid engine layout..

It's likely not going to happen cheaply either..

holy 2 year old thread

Ah missed this post.. But it supports my post anyway..lol

• 1 month later...

Yeah figured all that out awhile back. Got a busted cutlass destined to the cusher for cheap and stripped it bare to get a look at how the frame was set up. Even with the way i thought to brace the rear axle and diff. the thing was going to twist itself apart under any kind of cornering eventually, so no go. The best way i could possibly think about going at it the right way is a complete custom tubular frame, get all the support i need in the right spots. Lots to learn to be able to pull this off but i do think it will happen one day, ive got a few other cars to fix and sell then i might find another w-body to cut on and test with. I got a guy that will let me use his shop to bend the frame components but the welding is going to be a problem until i learn how to do it a little better.

Til then my CS is waiting for me to finish cleaning up this old 3.8 for a swap but got to up the OBD, swap the dash, up the brakes, bodywork, maybe getting around to putting a cd player in it, endless list but i think its worth it. Beats the hell out of a Honda or Kia any day of the week.

If we're talking crazyness like generation iii swaps, try shoving an LFX motor in your car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LFX Direct injection motor they're using in new gm cars like the camaro, and more interestingly the buick lacrosse, which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_LaCrosse is riding on "a revised version of the W-body known as MS2000"

Its a muscle car not a fucking rice burner

My car is a muscle car? Why didn't anyone tell me!?!?!?!

Honestly, I love my car, but... It isn't fast, it doesn't have a lot of torque, it doesn't handle well, it isn't practical, it hogs gas... Why spend *way* more than the car is worth just to make it RWD? IMO there are better money sinks.

• 3 years later...
OK i hate FWD on cars, especially cars that are suppose to be RWD to begin with. So i want to change that in my 1994 Cutlass Supreme 3100. I would love to drop some serious muscle in it like a 455 out of an old firebird or a 454 out of a chevelle, but a 3.8 V6 with turbo or a supercharger would be awesome. So i need to find out if a W-body frame will support a rear end and possibly a transmission like in the corvette. Or can i pull the rear end and transmission off a S-10 or a camaro and it will be wide enough? Anybody have any ideas? Frame Diagrams for W-Body and G-Body and whatever kindof body they used for the 94 camaro(J-Body?) Mid Engine RWD sounds good to, whichever will be easier.

:facepalm: Glad you didn't fuck your car up thinking up that bullshit.:lol:

Future you having a conversation with past you?

Was going through my thread history, mainly to make sure I didn't repeat a thread and couldn`t help it.:shrug:

Would you tell yourself to knock it off if you met past you, or would you just watch it all unfold, with a sadistic glee?

Depends if the time continuum was a real thing, I`d probably have that past me whacked then I just take his place. I lost a lot of money doing dumb shit I had no business doing and will probably owe money for the rest of my life for it. Besides a modded G-body would handle WAY better than a converted W-body with far less being paid for aftermarket parts by my current reckoning. Which isn't beyond my capability to do if I had one and the parts.

honestly, if you REALLY wanted a RWD W-body that could be tracked, W panels, glass and interior onto a G frame would probably end up much cheaper for a given goal.

Future you having a conversation with past you?

Was going through my thread history, mainly to make sure I didn't repeat a thread and couldn`t help it.:shrug:

Would you tell yourself to knock it off if you met past you, or would you just watch it all unfold, with a sadistic glee?

Depends if the time continuum was a real thing, I`d probably have that past me whacked then I just take his place. I lost a lot of money doing dumb shit I had no business doing and will probably owe money for the rest of my life for it. Besides a modded G-body would handle WAY better than a converted W-body with far less being paid for aftermarket parts by my current reckoning. Which isn't beyond my capability to do if I had one and the parts.

ugh, I'm reminded that I too have past threads like these. worn out S10 TBI 4.3 FTW, amirite?

I think I considered that engine as well. It would still be cool but for the long term every other day driver I think a custom engine swap would be a pain to maintain. Outside of the typical engines found in Ws that is. IDK if a G-body with Wbody panels would even look right, would have to be an `87 or rwd `88 Cutlass. Damn Im going to start thinking about that again when there are no 1st gens or any G-bodies in the yards.

Wasn't the rwd lumina done that way?

That one was on an F-body frame. As i recall, only the rear windows gave it away.

Wasn't the rwd lumina done that way?

IIRC that guy grafted the Lumina unibody to a ws6 Firebird, awesome car. I wonder how its doing now.