rich_e777

Rear mounted transmissions? If you're going front engine, the only rear mounted transmission that's going to be commonly available is the one used on C5 and C6 Corvettes.

If you're going rear engine, just use an FWD tranny.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rich_e777

• RobertISaar

• GnatGoSplat

• xtremerevolution

well now that I know you aren't just some kid, i'm looking forward to seeing this project and these materialize.

I agree about the rear mounted transmission. your best bet will be a wrecked c5 corvette.

I was hoping a rear mounted transmission for a 455 or 454 would work, dont think so. I found a z28 camaro rolling chassis(f-Body) for sale not far from here and im going to go measure stuff tomorrow. Saw a few corvette chassis for sale online and saw those new ones GM was letting go, that would be sweet. I should strip my cutlass down and see exactly what i can do.

Im building my dream car not yours if you dont have a good idea then stfu!

Wait wait wait... So the original post was someone masquerading as you, asking for opinions and advice on the idea you have...... and now you're coming on here as you telling people who have good ideas to shut up?? That's the only way I see this logically, because as you're saying it now, you've pretty much divided by zero.

See, when you start a topic on this kind of subject, you HAVE to expect opinions on it. People have given you those opinions and given you links. I don't think it's really that much to ask that you not be rude.

Your ambition is admirable. If you REALLY want something done, then DIVE IN. You will find that good old ingenuity will be of great worth, as the examples of the task you're seeking to complete can be counted on ONE hand. There are many good reasons not to convert a W-car to RWD.

If you want to do it, DO IT, don't ridicule those who (very rightly) suggest that it's foolhardy.

from the pics i'm seeing, it looks like you're planning on going pro-street, which will be MUCH easier to make than a car people would actually drive on a regular basis.

NOW getting a W rear-wheel drive, AND presentable, thats tougher...

Do you have any pictures of any other projects that you have done?

Don't click on anything on the page but good pictures of a RWD Cutlass.

http://www.frmtr.com/tuning/1083519-1990-oldsmobile-cutlass-coupe-1000-beygir-patlamaya-hazir-bir-bomba-adeta.html

That's not a cutlass anymore. That's a dragster with cutlass body panels and a cutlass dash.

i hear there's some crazy guy in the cleveland area currently working on one.

I heard that too? no wait... that was someone in Indiana I think he was going to use a two barrel ford 302 in it? He said it will get 30mpg and be easy to fix???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the car he is working on is a 96 MC Z34 with a BRAND NEW crate engine and transmission. it has a bad TPS and he thinks it is too hard to change so he wants rid of the engine.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: IIRC he is a professional mechanic.... AND I'M NOT JOKING ONE BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK clearing the air, if any of you had a legitamite idea, like a corvette rolling chassis, or stripping a G-body both fucking sweet ideas i didnt think of, didnt mean to piss you guys off. But the ones telling me to go a buy a RWD car were the people getting on my nerves. Ive got just about everything planned out and im still just bouncing ideas of you guys and possibly girls. Ive just aquried a 95 Cut Supreme for $500 bucks and all it needs is major tune up and new engine supports, so ive decided to use this one as a test platform. Ive stripped this thing down to the bone. (The 3100 in its going in a MX-5 Convertable, but thats a different story.) My plan for this one is using a LT1 V8 and matching rear mounted automatic transmission. The drive shaft is going to need some modifications as well as the engine. Bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, aerodynamics improved. I would really like to keep the stock rims(i think they call em sawtooths but im not sure) but so lower profile tires would help the handling. Im not getting into details of brand or kind of aftermarket parts im using til its done. I have an old 350 out of an old rustic piece of Chevy but will that engine link up with the 4 speed automatic? I dont want to pull the 350 unless i now it will or wont. I posted the same question to some corvette guys.

Do you have any pictures of any other projects that you have done?

Don't click on anything on the page but good pictures of a RWD Cutlass.

http://www.frmtr.com/tuning/1083519-1990-oldsmobile-cutlass-coupe-1000-beygir-patlamaya-hazir-bir-bomba-adeta.html

I have pictures of a few but i know if i posted them people would give me to much crap saying i was lying so i dont like to get into details on anything. I get these crazy ideas to do stuff and most of it isnt really car related. I am using a 3100 V6 in place of the little rotary engine in a Mazda, and I helped restore a WWII M4 Sheman tank. Thats where i got all my welding and cutting skills at. A guy said there was over a miles worth of welding seams when the tank was done.

from the pics i'm seeing, it looks like you're planning on going pro-street, which will be MUCH easier to make than a car people would actually drive on a regular basis.

NOW getting a W rear-wheel drive, AND presentable, thats tougher...

No Way dude, the only way any ones going to be able to tell its RWD is either when i pop the hood for people to see which aint happen, or they can see the back wheels spinning which is happening. And its all going to be as street legal as i can make it.

There was a Z34 Lumina on RacingJunk.com for sale for the longest time that was set-up for a SBC and RWD.

It was legit too, you couldn't tell it was RWD from the outside or the inside. Only thing that made it look suspicious was that it had a roll cage and a ratchet shifter. However the stock interior was all there as well as all the lights. It was sweet. It just recently disappeared form the site, i don't know if it was bought or what.

It was set up for street/strip. So it is possible, but i know this guy wanted like $6k for this one and it didnt have a M/T.

Are you sure you want an LT1?? Those things are pile's compared to an LS platform motor. I used to work on those when I was at the dealer. There is a reason they are easy to come by. No one wants them.

Are you sure you want an LT1?? Those things are pile's compared to an LS platform motor. I used to work on those when I was at the dealer. There is a reason they are easy to come by. No one wants them.

I already have an LT1 out of my Vette, and the automatic transmission because im wanting to drop an LS6 into her. But i figured a LT1 with about 300-325hp would be enough power for a RWD W-body. Im hoping to be done with the conversion before September.

I already have an LT1 out of my Vette, and the automatic transmission because im wanting to drop an LS6 into her. But i figured a LT1 with about 300-325hp would be enough power for a RWD W-body. Im hoping to be done with the conversion before September.

LT1s were largely ignored for performance parts by the aftermarket, but they are good motors, so long as the optispark doesn't die on you. jegs/summit usually sell the LT6 changeover parts as well should you need the extra grunt. as for tuning.... the 92-93 LT1 fuel and spark tables are HUGE. i believe the 94-95 went MAF and i don't know anything about the obd2 LT1s.

LT4 dumb dumb...

close enough...

although if someone could find a LT5/Z-F Gearbox, THAT would be a hell of a swap

Last LT5 setup I saw for sale sold for over $10K

And the ZF gear boxes are lightyears behind the BW/Tremec units...

• 2 years later...