Rear suspension Replacement - New Problems. 6-25-09

GP4U2NV

Ok, I am doing my rear suspension swap........

I cant get the left strut out. I have not even tried the right yet. I have the rear lateral arm, trailing arm and swap bar loose. I have both nuts loose. I cant get the bolt through.

I have:

Hammered

Heated with small torch

pry bar

screw driver

What do I do?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP4U2NV

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• BXX

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem with my old 93' z34. What I usually do is get the nuts loose and put the 15/16s or 24mm socket over the nut and go to town on it with a 10lb sledge. and they will generally pop out then.

However if they are REALLY stuck in there as my old 93's were. I had to remove the rear knuckle assembly with the strut and get it out of the car to get a better swing on them. they came loose pretty easy at that point.

Does your car have aux springs? Take a large C-clamp and compress the spring, then hammer out the bolts. Then stand back and let the aux spring pop off because the C-clamp won't hold it steady. Its a lot harder and someties impossible to get the bolts out when the aux spring is there when I've done this. Some times I even take the upper mount bolts out first so the spring can move a little when I compress it. For those who do not know what the aux spring is, its a rubber spring that is held in at the bottom of the strut, behind the caliper.

When reassembling, I compress the aux spring in a vise and then use some wire to hold it compressed. Then once its installed I cut the wire.

Does your car have aux springs? Take a large C-clamp and compress the spring, then hammer out the bolts. Then stand back and let the aux spring pop off because the C-clamp won't hold it steady. Its a lot harder and someties impossible to get the bolts out when the aux spring is there when I've done this. Some times I even take the upper mount bolts out first so the spring can move a little when I compress it. For those who do not know what the aux spring is, its a rubber spring that is held in at the bottom of the strut, behind the caliper.

When reassembling, I compress the aux spring in a vise and then use some wire to hold it compressed. Then once its installed I cut the wire.

What are you referring to as the "aux" spring?

there's also an auxiliary spring special compressor tool called a M10 x 100mm bolt (or something like that). The bottom bracket is threaded for it :teapot: and Monroe gives them for free with the rear sensatracs.

I have yet to figure out what the hell that was used for. Mine came with it, and I took it off and threw it away to reduce unsprung weight, and noticed absolutely no difference.

3.jpg

nice! 93- auxilary bracket with 94+ rear brakes!!!!

the 94+ bracket is redesigned and shifts the top of the aux spring to the inside.

it is argueable... but the aux spring is supposed to act as more of a damper to stabilize the suspension.... it seems to actually makes the car squat a bit more.

a sledge on the bolts has always knocked them out fine for me. I coat them with antisieze when I reinstall them.

Got the bolts out

Next question. The two plates that are more towards the middle with 2 (10mm's) that hold the monoleaf do I have to install them if I am going to delete the leaf?

unsure. they do limit the travel of the rear lateral links, and serve as a mounting point for the exhaust on most cars. Also... the retaining clips they bolt into might rattle.

I would reinstall them with homemade spacers, personally.

I took them off and threw them away permanently as they made removing the strut all that much more annoying. as I said, I haven't yet felt a difference, and considering w-bodies did come without them, it begs to question whether or not they're necessary.

FYI: I am taking about the retainers for the spring.

what xtremerevolution is talking about is the auxilary springs, which can be removed and tossed if present. I added them for shits and giggles to one car, but will probably not do so to any others. you will get better benefits from a heavier than stock rear sway bar.

Ken, was it you that said only non-rear swaybar equipped cars have the aux springs? I guess it acts to somewhat dampen/contain/regulate the suspension movement sort of like how a swaybar would.

Ken, was it you that said only non-rear swaybar equipped cars have the aux springs? I guess it acts to somewhat dampen/contain/regulate the suspension movement sort of like how a swaybar would.

yes and no.

I've seen:

lesser cars that have only the aux spring.

cars that have only the sway bar

and cars that have both.

So I need the spring clamp in there?

I know one is a hanger for exhaust. The other is bound up that is why I was asking.

I recommend reinstalling them. what do you mean by bound up?

So I need the spring clamp in there?

I know one is a hanger for exhaust. The other is bound up that is why I was asking.

No, you do not need the leaf spring retainers there.. Its a good idea to leave the passenger side in as its an exhaust hanger. If the other is bound up, just leave it there. I did with mine.

In the end, it wont make a difference as it doesnt add any bracing whatsoever to the rear subframe..

Any other questions, let me know! :cool: