• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP4U2NV

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• BXX

Top Posters In This Topic

I've observed three sizes of rear sway bar on gen 1.5s

the 7/8ths is the largest, and is known only to be on 1995 gen 1.5 3.4 cars (mc and lumina)

there is a medium bar which i think was 3/4ths...

and a smaller bar which I think was 5/8ths....

I'd have to double check to be sure...

I've observed three sizes of rear sway bar on gen 1.5s

the 7/8ths is the largest, and is known only to be on 1995 gen 1.5 3.4 cars (mc and lumina)

there is a medium bar which i think was 3/4ths...

and a smaller bar which I think was 5/8ths....

I'd have to double check to be sure...

Is that 7/8" bar any different from the 22mm or 7/8" ADDCO bar I bought for my regal?

not really....it's a stock bar, so theoretically it will fit fine.....not sure on a lowered car though.

the 474 bar from ADDCO that was redesigned works great w/ my lowered car.

not really....it's a stock bar, so theoretically it will fit fine.....not sure on a lowered car though.

I'm sure that's the same one I'm using. Black powder coated, right?

I'm curious to know if the 7/8" monte bar would work on a lowered car...

different? it is a different design.

the factory bar has a collared stops (so do all other gen 1 and 1.5 rear swaybars) that contacts the outer bushings at the strut, preventing side to side travel. supposedly the addco bar lacks such stops and can shift side to side making contact with the struts and making noise.

I'm sure that's the same one I'm using. Black powder coated, right?

I'm curious to know if the 7/8" monte bar would work on a lowered car...

I think it would only work if you also used the longer lateral links from a gen 2 car.

I am using the lightest gen 1.5 rear swaybar on one of my cars, and there is a "track width" difference between the bars. the gen 1.5 bar is 1-2 inches wider than the gen 1 bar, and had to be held under tension to install on my gen 1 car with the OEM control arms. Any thicker bar would not have worked without the longer arm upgrade.

different? it is a different design.

the factory bar has a collared stops (so do all other gen 1 and 1.5 rear swaybars) that contacts the outer bushings at the strut, preventing side to side travel. supposedly the addco bar lacks such stops and can shift side to side making contact with the struts and making noise.

My addco bar, before the powdercoating came off and it started rusting.

I'll be taking it off to sand it down and repaint it when I replace the rear leaf.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SirMaverick00/95%20Buick%20Regal/IMG_3131.jpg?t=1245862685

Anyone have a picture of the monte bar? I'm really curious as to the differences.

Hmm, I'll bet my fiance's sister's 96 regal sedan would benefit from one of those bars, since it doesn't have one at all. Just trying to figure out how it would work out.

I imagine the 7/8" monte bar is not easy to find if it only came off of one year.

Hmm, I'll bet my fiance's sister's 96 regal sedan would benefit from one of those bars, since it doesn't have one at all. Just trying to figure out how it would work out.

I imagine the 7/8" monte bar is not easy to find if it only came off of one year.

agreed. I think it would be overkill for most people though, and it is too stiff to clear the struts without widening the rear track with gen 2 lateral links.

ALSO.... FYI: the hanger is the same between all the bars, just the bushings size changes.

I know......I would like to have new brackets.

))) I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP (((

Are we saying that the the monte bar wont fit all 1st gens? or for the regals?

I know......I would like to have new brackets.

))) I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP (((

Are we saying that the the monte bar wont fit all 1st gens? or for the regals?

IMO, it will not fit unless you widen the rear track width with slightly longer bars.

wait, so this wouldn't fit a 96 regal? was there that big of a difference from the gen 1.5 95 monte? doesn't really matter all that much since I probably won't find one, but still.

i'll probably try to find one of the smaller ones.

It will fit, if the car's rear track is widened by about 1 inch... see my pics!

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

otherwise.. IMO if you have to tools/ability to reduce the track width of the bar by about 1 inch, this may work too

REAL dumb probably a noob question buy how does it affect the track width? and how is it accomplished I would think the trailing arm would hold it back so the wheels would either look like this / \ or this \ / ???

also is it possible to use a leafspring with the 1.5/gen2 lateral links?

Holy crap Ken, I didnt kno you took pics of my car when we I was redoing my rear suspension..

And with my Gen 2 lateral links, the sway bar fits with ZERO issues, I have no rubbing or anything like that... Even when I had the rear end lowered a good amount, I had no hitting or rubbing with the 7/8"(22mm) Gen 1.5 bar..

I am having troubles getting the 7/8 bar into the GP.........

Like a inch toooo long.

when i stuck my lighter duty gen 1.5 bar into my car, I had to compress it slightly, I used a quality ratchet strap to reduce it's width, then installed the bushings. it pushes out on the bushings, but that poses no problems... as I got some modified brackets made that "cage" the bushing preventing it from moving out.