Starter Replacement

RobertISaar

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have photos or tips on doing a starter on a 3.4L...It seems to be a pain thus far...Wish i could pay someone to do it lol

Nevermind.

Edited by tornado_735
It just occurred to me you're talking about the LQ1.

yeah me too, my 98 3100 luminas starters coming off this weekend,and i'd like to know what iam in for.

it dosent look that hard to change. and i have the smaller starter.

i didn't think the 98s had the smaller setup...

but it's actually not that bad, IIRC i just had trouble with the stupid A/C compressor to starter brace that i refused to reinstall.

i know the stock starters got smaller in the later years, a 98 3100 most likely has a mid sized starter, much smaller than the giants that 3.1s had, but still not the tiny ones that some on 01+ 3x00s.

Does anyone have photos or tips on doing a starter on a 3.4L...It seems to be a pain thus far...Wish i could pay someone to do it lol

Tip: pull the oil filter off. With it off, you should be able to move the oil cooler lines just enough to squeeze the starter out. I did it twice on mine that way, and it cleared but only just. It also takes a but if wiggling, wedging and coaxing. The smaller starter going in it will be much easier.