Bryan921SS

I have been looking around and I can't find the answer to my question...so sorry if it has been addressed before.

Does anyone know when the Radiator Fans are supposed to kick on? What temp/under what conditions....Thanks

Edit: 1996 2 Door Cutlass Supreme 3100 V6

should kick on by 230*... and don't trust your guage either, its probably not all that accurate.

and if you have the a/c running, at least one of the fans should kick on.

should kick on by 230*... and don't trust your guage either, its probably not all that accurate.

and if you have the a/c running, at least one of the fans should kick on.

Wrong, stock PCM commands the primary on at 215 degrees and the secondary on at 225 degrees or when the A/C is on kicks the secondary, but there are also override commands that can interupt it. That was according to my stock PCM file

Either way, its way too hot...

If you want it changed and you are someone local to Brunswick Ohio (Cleveland) I have the ability to tune your PCM, bring a 97 Lumina PCM with your and about $150

i was taking a guess since i have no idea if GM changed anything between the fan turn on thresholds for obd2... but i was off by 5 degrees(for the secondary)

i was taking a guess since i have no idea if GM changed anything between the fan turn on thresholds for obd2... but i was off by 5 degrees(for the secondary)

Yup, I know :lol:

Im gonna recheck though, as I think there was a different flash update that changed it... Mine was a May 95 build so it had the troublesome flash..

I would just wire up your fans to a switch rather than pay $150 to have someone program your PCM for something so minimal.

Nice shameless plug....

I would just wire up your fans to a switch rather than pay $150 to have someone program your PCM for something so minimal.

Nice shameless plug....

Umm, I would do a lot more than that.. And its a hell of a lot better than doing a hackjob like wiring it up to a switch :wink:

so 220-230 ish then...i will have to test the A/C to see if the one is kicking on or not...the reason i ask is because the car has been getting really hot while sitting in traffic or at idle. The Thermo is new, all new coolant, new LIM etc...it isn't leaking out at all...but i will take a look at it tonight...maybe try bleeding the system.

Has it been flushed recently?

Nice shameless plug....

Umm, I would do a lot more than that.. And its a hell of a lot better than doing a hackjob like wiring it up to a switch :wink:

Alot of people aren't enthusiasts like you and I. If you wire up a switch correctly it won't be a hackjob. :mrgreen:

Quick Update...

I tried turning the A/C on and the fan doesn't turn on at all...I haven't tried getting the engine up to temp yet, but i did replace the fan fuses and they still don't work....so I have to try to get the engine up to 220ish still...but what else could/should I check for???

I was going to ask almost an identical question. On my '96 regal 3.1, the driver's side fan kicks on with the a/c, regardless of engine temp it seems. I assume the other kicks on at some water temp setpoint like previously mentioned. Are both ever suppossed to run w/o the a/c on, though?

Thanks

I was going to ask almost an identical question. On my '96 regal 3.1, the driver's side fan kicks on with the a/c, regardless of engine temp it seems. I assume the other kicks on at some water temp setpoint like previously mentioned. Are both ever suppossed to run w/o the a/c on, though?

Thanks

if you turn on the a/c, 1 should kick on as long as the a/c is working. the other fan will kick on when the coolant reaches around 230.

as for the last question: they can both run without the a/c being on, one will start and if the temp still goes up another 5*, the other will start-up as well. the exact numbers might be different depending on your car, but they are general numbers

My car also seems to wait a while for the primary fan to kick on, while the passenger fan turns on the moment you start up the A/C.

Check your relays. I had my relay go bad not too long ago.

Quick Update...

I tried turning the A/C on and the fan doesn't turn on at all...I haven't tried getting the engine up to temp yet, but i did replace the fan fuses and they still don't work....so I have to try to get the engine up to 220ish still...but what else could/should I check for???

You have no fans at all? Check your relays.

I put two new relays in and the first fan still wont kick on...the A/C doesn't work, so maybe the compressor is dead....but both fans still haven't come on...i need to just ride around in the car for a while on a hot day to see if any of them turn on. Maybe its the motor or the temp sensor(s)

• 4 weeks later...

I took the car in today to see if a rad shop could figure out what was going on with the fans.

They said the Main fan kicks on at 340-350 degrees, and that my accessory fan will not turn on because my compressor is leaking.

Called the local GM dealership and they said the main fan should kick on at 127 degrees.

So now I am 100% confused....this is an Iron block with Aluminum heads, 340 degrees seems way way high...I have no clue what to do now..any thoughts??

you either typo'd a few times with 340 and meant 240, or the shop you're dealing with is retarded or something is FUBAR...

240 is still too high

Yeah that is why I am freaking out...they guy told my g/f the fans come on at 340 degrees....

Think I should take it to the dealer?

no... you should go talk to the people you are dealing with in person. cause the game of telephone is so 1985.

the best way to figure out if your fans work is to manually turn them on by opening the relay and triggering the relay yourself. if they both turn on and work, next step would be the temp sensor.

it should be obvious. i recommend using a non conductive object, such as a toothpick.

important! and should you decide to use something that is conductive, do it all with one hand, if not and you're touching the wrong set of things, the electrical system in the car will see your body as the path of least resistance and shock your ass. if one hand is making that bridge, not that big of a deal, your hand will feel funny for a little while, do it with both hands and guess whats in the way?

same concept as a defibulator...