Brian P

the early 4t60 non e trans seem to last the longest. the 4t440's are good too.

Thats cause they had wimpy 2.8s and 3.1s strapped to them :lol:

Mine was replaced with a GM Goodwrench trans right before i bought mine.. I lucked out

Which is why I don't believe my tranny at 222k is original.

Check teh vin tag!

There's no VIN tag on the tranny, but there is an ID tag that may help (but not guarantee) if the trans is original or not.

Where on teh tranny might I locate this?

the gen 1 H-bodies were coming in around 3293lbs

Ah true :lol: IIRC my '90 and my '95 CS are about 3190 lb. Still though, the earlier 3800's had what... 205-215 TQ?

Which is why I don't believe my tranny at 222k is original.

Check teh vin tag!

There's no VIN tag on the tranny, but there is an ID tag that may help (but not guarantee) if the trans is original or not.

Where on teh tranny might I locate this?

Back of the tranny where you usually can't see it.... look near where the dipstick tube is connected to the case, it should be close to that.

EDIT: If you look at pg 1, 1st pic you can see the metal tag between the differential cover and dipstick tube. That's what you'll need to read.

INCORRECT!!!! there is a PARTIAL VIN on the transmission, unless it was a GM Re-man or crate item. it should be the passenger side rear of the case, on a flat lip near the pan.

basically it is the last 8 digits (give or take?) are teh last 8 digits of your vin, which includes the "serial number" (last six) or the VIN.

the gen 1 H-bodies were coming in around 3293lbs

Ah true :lol: IIRC my '90 and my '95 CS are about 3190 lb. Still though, the earlier 3800's had what... 205-215 TQ?

I must be lucky as shit.

When I was going to school one day, I made a turn in my '91 CS. My backpack slid off the seat, and landed right by my feet. I couldn't get to the pedals, so I pulled the backpack up, the strap caught the shifter, and jerked it into reverse. There was a thunk, and it stalled out immediately. I was going about 30mph. I freaked out, coasted into a parking lot, and into a parking spot. I sat there for a minute because I was convinced that I had blown the transmission. I started it back up, put it into reverse, and to my amazement, it backed up just fine. I put it into drive, and it moved. I said the hell with it, and nursed it back onto the road. Shifted fine, downshifted fine, and never had a problem with it after that.

Did it in the Ciera too, but I wasn't going that fast. It did stall though like you said. No problems though

It's weird though, right? Just sort of thunked and died.

The messed up thing was that I sold the car (like a DUMBASS) and saw it parked at an Arbys more than a year later. The guy I sold it to had beat the hell out of it. The doors were all crunched, the front bumper was caved in. I mean, the car was trashed. I have never felt the urge to kill somebody in cold blood until that moment. That car was my baby, and I cried when I sold it. To see what he had done to it still pains me to this day, and that was almost 4 years ago.