Burning oil through PCV

jman093

I've had to add a quart of oil every thousand miles to this car and it doesn't leak a drop of anything, so I figured it was burning it (plus I do see a small amount of blue smoke every once in a while). No big deal I thought, most high-mileage OHC engines are oil burners and the car runs fantastic. But tonight I took off the upper intake manifold to change the plugs (they appearred to be the stockers yet!) and oil was dripping out of the bottom of upper manifold and also a good amount of oil was flowing back out of the PCV valve and elbow hose which were still connected to the back of the manifold. It was a lot of oil in there and the lower intake was very saturated with oil as well. The spark plug tube valve cover gaskets were also leaking, but this appears to be 90% of the problem.

PCV's usually always suck a little oil, but the only time I've seen this at work is when the crankcase fresh air hose is somehow blocked or pinched, or the air filter is clogged, which I have neither of those problems. PCV is oily as hell, but rattles fine and had no carbon on it. Gonna replace it anyways it's like 4 bucks. You LQ1 guys running into this problem?

I have not, although mine only has 75k on it.

And FWIW, when you went WOT leaving Sedgwick County Park you smoked me out :mrgreen:

Really? Maybe it smokes worse than I thought. Did it smell bad or just smoke?

And that wasn't WOT. Probably around 80-85% though. :biggrin:

I have not, although mine only has 75k on it.

And FWIW, when you went WOT leaving Sedgwick County Park you smoked me out :mrgreen:

Really? Maybe it smokes worse than I thought. Did it smell bad or just smoke?

And that wasn't WOT. Probably around 80-85% though. :biggrin:

Wow, that thing must be a monster, I thought it was screaming!

I shouldn't have used "smoked me out" but I did see smoke. Really not too bad. If memory serves me (this was a while ago) it wasn't straight blue...kind of a black / blue mixture IIRC but don't quote me on that. I think I could smell it a bit, but nothing overwhelming.

With that much oil consumption through the pcv and smoking on hard acceleration, it sounds like you have some bad piston rings. You sure none of that oil is leaking externally? 1qt per 1K is a lot...

With that much oil consumption through the pcv and smoking on hard acceleration, it sounds like you have some bad piston rings. You sure none of that oil is leaking externally? 1qt per 1K is a lot...

No leaks. I've had it on a lift many times. I even met the technician who fixed some oil leaks on it for Luke. The guy recognized the car.

I don't know about rings or the cylinder walls. I'm sure they've got normal wear for a 150,000 mile DOHC engine. It runs great and pulls hard in the high rpm range. I just don't know why the PCV is sucking so much oil.