before i go kill the people at midas i have a question (FIXED)

jake91

okay, i took my car to midas for warrenty work to stop the squeaking in my brakes, and they re machined my rotors but by doing that they warped them somehow. because now theyre rubbing on the pads, and they someput my car in horrible alignment (both wheels point in opposite direction), and on all these they are lying. theyre telling me that the rotor sound is a wheel bearing, and that the alignment a tire pull.

so what i want to know is

how can someone put a car out of alignment doing a brake job?

and how could i prove that its a warped rotor?

or am i just shit out of luck?

thanks

jake

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• xtremerevolution

• RobertISaar

• Night Fury

Wheel bearings don't squeal really, they pretty much just groan. Does the brake pedal pulse when you stop? That's how you tell if the rotors are warped, I'm pretty sure the only way I know of. I'm sure someone else might chime in about that.

And i have no idea how the car can be put out of alignment from a brake job, unless they seriously do not know what they are doing. Id raise hell if I were you!

yeah thats why i know its not wheel bearings ive heard them go out. no it doesnt pulse, but the sound does go away when i hit the brakes.

idk what to tell you about your problem, but I can say this much, NEVER go to Midas, I brought my moms car there once, a week after I did the front pads and rotors, and they tried tellin me it needed all new breaks all around, when all it needed was on caliper in the back... fuck that, shops are only out to screw people...

idk what to tell you about your problem, but I can say this much, NEVER go to Midas, I brought my moms car there once, a week after I did the front pads and rotors, and they tried tellin me it needed all new breaks all around, when all it needed was on caliper in the back... fuck that, shops are only out to screw people...

not necessarily all shops... nationwide chains? yeah they're out to screw us...

squeaking...hmmm..maybe the calipers aren't retracting all the way when let off? The calipers are new aren't they?

no same calipers, but it only squeaks evey half rotation. which is why im thinking warped rotors.

Cut rotors and new pads can cause brake squeak for awhile, honestly.

with how easy it is to do 94+ rear brakes I'm more surprised that you didn't do it yourself.

not necessarily all shops... nationwide chains? yeah they're out to screw us...

i normaly go to premier automotive in tempe, and that shop owner is awesome. he is a friend of a freind of a freind who started his own shop because he didnt like how other shops he worked at made him break parts, and sell uneeded stuff. he put 50 hours of work looking for a sound in my moms car, but didnt charge her because he never was able to figure out what it was.

Cut rotors and new pads can cause brake squeak for awhile, honestly.

with how easy it is to do 94+ rear brakes I'm more surprised that you didn't do it yourself.

squeak even when not braking? and i would have done the pads myself but i needed the car running the next day, and i didnt want to mess anything up. since i had never done it before

I suggest you go back to him, and let that trip to Midas be a expensive lesson, unless you feel like arguing with a district manager who will likely tell you to get bent.

I suggest you go back to him, and let that trip to Midas be a expensive lesson, unless you feel like arguing with a district manager who will likely tell you to get bent.

i will probably go argue with them. becuase whats the worst that can happen :lol:, but from now on i know to use my good mechanic, and no one else

Ive heard plenty of horror stories about the chain shops. I delivered parts for NAPA for a year and got to know pretty much all the shops in the area. It was pretty obvious to tell who was trust worthy and who wasnt. I would NEVER take my car to a chain, not even for a oil change. If i need work done i have a trusted mechanic i take it to who always give me a good deal.

okay so i took my car to pepboys today to get som info, and they told me what midas did was cut my rotors way below manufactuers specs, and that midas should have to buy me new rotors. we will see what happens when i go talk to them.

okay so i took my car to pepboys today to get som info, and they told me what midas did was cut my rotors way below manufactuers specs, and that midas should have to buy me new rotors. we will see what happens when i go talk to them.

just outa curiousity, why would u have your rotors turned when they only cost like $25 a pop, I would assume it would cost at least 15-20 to turn em wouldn't it?

just outa curiousity, why would u have your rotors turned when they only cost like $25 a pop, I would assume it would cost at least 15-20 to turn em wouldn't it?

x2, especially the rears...

Turning rotors on our cars is really pointless because of the low cost of the new rotors.

And if the car is out of alignment that tells me they did something other than the brake job that they aren't telling you about...

If I were in your shoes I would raise hell and then demand that it be PROPERLY repaired at a shop of your choice at their expense. I have heard of a few people doing that at Canadian Tire stores around here. (Canadian tire can fuck up an oil change... my uncles pathfinder blew up after a Canadian Tire oil change because they put tranny fluid in rather than oil, they ended up having to pay to have the dealership put in a brand new engine)

Jamie

i was in a hurry and it is cheaper to turn rotors that get new when your paying a shop to do the work. if i had done it myself i would have got new rotors

so what i want to know is

how can someone put a car out of alignment doing a brake job?

Well, not quite the same, but Canadian tire managed to fuck up the entire braking system on our 88 New yorker when all it was in for was to replace a rusted fuel filter.

Probably some one purposely took the car out of alignment to sucker you into bringing the car back to have it aligned. it may be a good idea to check for any recent tool marks on the tie rods. Chances are, if they played with it, you will see markings, or worse, actual damage. If that would be the case, i would talk to the manager there, inform him that you are not happy that they played around with the alignment of your car For no reason whatsoever, and you would like it corrected. If they will not correct it, inform them that you will be exposing this experience to the local media. Most newscasts have some type of Consumer watch and just love stuff like this.

im not sure if they messed with anything though. because i watch my mechanics like a hawk. so unless he did it in the few minutes i went inside and watched tv. to me it only looked as if he touched the brakes :dunno:

also i had it aligned in january. so the tie rods, or whatever. probably still have the tool marks on them from that.

How much money do you make per hour?

Tbare minimum a shop will charge anywhere in the US to my knowledge, with Pep Boys charging $90 an hour and dealers charging $120. Unless you get paid more than $60 an hour, I really couldn't fathom why you'd want to take your car to Midas instead of doing it yourself. As long as the caliper bolts aren't siezed up from rust, it's a very easy job.

i have no job right now my mom is covering my car. ive never done brakes before, and i wanted the car on the road the next morning so i could take it on vacation. that is why i used midas.

i have no job right now my mom is covering my car. ive never done brakes before, and i wanted the car on the road the next morning so i could take it on vacation. that is why i used midas.

Don't take this the wrong way man, but that's what we're here for. There are always people here to help and walk you through anything you need. Having bought the most expensive tools available, you would have gotten the job done cheaper and better. In a sense, it was your responsibility to have prepared the car farther in advance knowing you would need it to be in optimal condition for a vacation.

For future reference, once the wheel is off, replacing the rear brake pads and rotors requires removing 3 bolts and using either needle nose pliers or a channel-lock wrench type to rotate the piston as you press it back in. That's really all there is to it. I believe you need a 12mm for the caliper bolt and a 19mm for the 2 bracket bolts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

didnt take it the wrong way, but my brakes went bad the day i took it to them. i posted a thread on here but didnt get any replies that helped in time. so thats why i took it there. also before you ask "you didnt know they were bad" my answer to that is i had my neighbor check them and he said they looked good. so i trusted him. drove it for a few months, and then the day before i was going on vacation the just start sqealing real bad anytime in touch them or make a turn.

didnt take it the wrong way, but my brakes went bad the day i took it to them. i posted a thread on here but didnt get any replies that helped in time. so thats why i took it there. also before you ask "you didnt know they were bad" my answer to that is i had my neighbor check them and he said they looked good. so i trusted him. drove it for a few months, and then the day before i was going on vacation the just start sqealing real bad anytime in touch them or make a turn.

Wait, squealing while turning? I've had my brakes squeal because of being worn, but not while turning. When brakes are very worn, they squeal because a strip of metal on the brake pad rubs against the brake rotor and creates that high pitch squeal. Needless to say, that only happens when you apply pressure to the brakes so that strip/pin comes in contact with the rotor.

Take a look at the pins on these brake pads so you know what I mean.

brake_pads2.jpg