before i go kill the people at midas i have a question (FIXED)

jake91

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• xtremerevolution

• RobertISaar

• Night Fury

more like $30 a pop and i have $100 to my name so i am going to try to get new rotors from midas again

Bitch the hell out of midas and don't be a pussy about it. Know your facts and print out the spec sheets before you go so you have some facts to shove in their faces. If they refuse, threaten to sue on account of damaged rotors that can pose life-threatening conditions, and demand to speak to their district manager. Don't EVER take no for an answer when dealing with these idiots. Trust me on this. Just stick to your facts and don't budge. If you look like an idiot they will walk all over you like they have.

That being said, R1 Concepts blank rotors are $37.40 for the pair, zinc coated, plus $16 shipping. IMO that's a lot cheaper than having them turned anywhere you can possibly take them.

Shops like that need to know that you know your facts otherwise they will try and pull stunts. Which is why I posted the data directly from Alldata. If you show up there with a print out from a web forum, they can easily say that it is wrong, their specs are different blah blah blah. But the fact that it is from AllData, means it's from a trustworthy source, and probably the same source that Midas uses in the first place.

i believe it is because i think i saw a sticker in the window along with the ones for the parts they use that said alldata

they didnt replace the tensioner then

Oh, I know they didn't. I actually got to thinking about it and it only squeals when you are at low idle with the AC on. Squeals like a mofo. Turn the AC off, and it goes away immediately. Turn the AC on on the road or freeway, and it'll freeze you.

They're still assholes though, even if it isn't their fault. :D

Being a chick doesn't help when it comes to getting crap fixed at these chains. Merchants ripped me off once on my brakes, fool me once...

My favorite was the day I really needed an oil change and what looked like a local shop was offering a 25 dollar deal. Well, they were just as interesting as Jiffy Lube and had some national tie. They keep yanking parts off my car and showing them to me. "Your air filter's dirty, this PCV valve is clogged." Now any drooling bottom feeder can replace either of those. Then they start in on me needing high mileage oil. I tried to be cool but ended up pretty bluntly saying that if they yanked one more part off my car, or tried to charge me for ANYTHING other than the 25 bucks I was going to drive right to the BBB and file a complaint about false advertising, not to mention destroying personal property by popping parts out from under the hood.

I'm back to either doing it myself or taking it to my mechanic and buying the oil and filter. Jiffy Lube, Midas and Quaker State don't care if they lose a customer. Right now a local mechanic and hell, even a dealer has to worry the way things are going.

Being a chick doesn't help when it comes to getting crap fixed at these chains. Merchants ripped me off once on my brakes, fool me once...

My favorite was the day I really needed an oil change and what looked like a local shop was offering a 25 dollar deal. Well, they were just as interesting as Jiffy Lube and had some national tie. They keep yanking parts off my car and showing them to me. "Your air filter's dirty, this PCV valve is clogged." Now any drooling bottom feeder can replace either of those. Then they start in on me needing high mileage oil. I tried to be cool but ended up pretty bluntly saying that if they yanked one more part off my car, or tried to charge me for ANYTHING other than the 25 bucks I was going to drive right to the BBB and file a complaint about false advertising, not to mention destroying personal property by popping parts out from under the hood.

I'm back to either doing it myself or taking it to my mechanic and buying the oil and filter. Jiffy Lube, Midas and Quaker State don't care if they lose a customer. Right now a local mechanic and hell, even a dealer has to worry the way things are going.

Chaps my ass when those bastards try that shit. I do it myself anyway. I use High Mileage Oil in the GP, but I'm thinking about switching to Kendall conventional. It was on sale, so I put it in my Land Rover and it's stayed nice and clean.

• 3 weeks later...

we after all this the rotors are fine pepboys lied to me also by telling me my rotors were under cut. now that im back from il i bought a caliper and mesured them and theyre fine they are 1 inch in the front and 10 mm in the rear. and before anyone says anything yes i know im an idiot :lol:

That's not bad, but that caliper is only going to measure the VERY EDGE of the rotor. Granted your rotors are freshly cut so they *should* be flat, but there's usually a lip at the edge since the pads never contact that area. The best way to measure is with a caliper that has protrusions at the tips, or a standard micrometer/vernier caliper.

Kind of like this:

51IWm-01oYL._SS500_.jpg

This is a brake rotor caliper:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_1302_98/fowler_brake_drum_and_rotor_measure_kit_with_elect.html

i think the rotors are pretty uniform as you said they are freshly cut, and that when i was mesuring them the caliper had pretty even grip across the whole rotor.