Kuntzie's 01 Turbo GT 5-speed thread----- pg 10 extra special sunday delivery!

kuntzie

thnaks guys.. transmission will be in later tomorrow,

i linked this thread on clubgp and there is a couple people saying theres no way the trans will last at all and they arent good for even 300hp in lighter cars (fieros)

time to prove them wrong... as if my tgp wasnt enough.

Do you have the 282 or 284 in the TGP (89)? Waiting for some video of the finished product... not to rush you or anything, but again, awesome project :thumb: If you weren't in canukistan and were around here, I'd be up to helping with this great project, you're pretty quick with the progress on your own though too.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kuntzie

• GOT2B GM

• w-bodys_are_the_best

• White93z34

^ thanks... i really havent put in a full day on it yet so it hasnt taken that long...

On that note...

transmission is in!!... exciting forsure for me!.. will be back on the ground today!

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0660.jpg

CIMG0661.jpg

CIMG0663.jpg

He needs to post a new update, lol

the trans wount bolt to the subframe... i dont understand why this isnot working out.. its like 4" in from the mounting holes.

I was wondering about that in the last pictures you posted, I don't see why that would be, unless in gen2s the engine is more biased to the right side, maybe to make room for the 4t65es casing???

now lets say that *maybe* that is true, would a engine mount from a 3800 monte carlo or lumina help you move it over to the subframe more.

I suppose worst case you may have to weld a mounting pad on the subframe.

have you taken side to side measurements from a gen 1 to a gen 2 subframe?

problem solved... on the subframe there are holes on the bottom but they arent drilled through the top. of the subframe rail... i went to the junk yard and so a mix of ones with these holes and ones without...

impalas dont have them

1997 gts have them

97-98 vans have them, 99+ dont

intrigues with the 3.5 have them, unknow anbout the 3.8s

the gtps and gts 98+ are mix and match, for some reason some dont have them....

i checked mine when i got home (the main reasin i went to the j/y was to look at how an automatic was attached in a 88-93) and i have the holes... so i just gotta drill them out!

lucky you! :high5:

yes im so happy.... but was worried now being able to line up the holes properly as its not the easiest task to drill a hole perfectly from below.... i figured it out though...

more progress and some random pics... i was debating on droping the subframe to get the holes drilled perfectly in the subframe, but after a quick look in my tools i decided to use a hole saw... im not as dumb as i look! the actual hole saw part it a snug fit in the holw so that the middle drill bit could percisly center the hole in place... yay for my brain working.

still rocking the dewalt drill!! ... yup in the parking lot...

CIMG0668.jpg

the holes...

CIMG0670.jpg

the hole saw in place :)

CIMG0671.jpg

transmission lined up (mount not installed yet)

CIMG0676.jpg

minus all the axle grease... look at the room down here!!!

CIMG0672.jpg

the "bit*h" bolt is no longer an issue, so accessable now!

CIMG0675.jpg

transmission mount

CIMG0666.jpg

this is the 1/2 shaft... these are solid, yet to hear of anyone break one under any conditions... attaches the passenger axle to the trans (it runs through the sleve of the above pictures.. its already installed in the pics..

CIMG0667.jpg

and this is my Blow off valve... these are insainly loud, turbosmart megasonic dual horn ... worlds loudest production BOV on the market..

i will be swaping out the monza that comes with the kit for this one (new flange needed to be welded on as this is much bigger)

CIMG0664.jpg

CIMG0665.jpg

ps.. im doing a write up more complex then on here on another forum, so some of the pics are useless but they want to know everything as they are complete n00bs to the 88-96 scene and the 5-speeds are ... "what!?!?!? first gens came 5-speed?" "ill have to look into this"

lol @ 2nd gen owners...

oh, shit.... ya u know... the dumb ones haha

first gen is the best gen :lol: Honestly I like both of them, however I have had my fair share of second gen 4t65e headaches and L67/L36s to satisfy my need for a loooong time now.

Forget what I said earlier, your pictures made it kinda difficult to see where the mounting point of the trans would fall in relation to the subframe, I see what your problem was now.

ps.. im doing a write up more complex then on here on another forum, so some of the pics are useless but they want to know everything as they are complete n00bs to the 88-96 scene and the 5-speeds are ... "what!?!?!? first gens came 5-speed?" "ill have to look into this"

lol @ 2nd gen owners...

oh, shit.... ya u know... the dumb ones haha

Yeah, most didn't even know the TGP's existed either. Most of ClubGP is retarded like that....and in many other ways :lol:

wel this is officially , offically the final stretch...

axle..

CIMG0677.jpg

"output shaft" if thats what u want to call it..

CIMG0678.jpg

2nd gen axle meet 1st gen output shaft...

CIMG0679.jpg

shitty pics but tansmission mount is in

CIMG0680.jpg

all mounted up... no supports keeping it in place... shes good ! (the trans that is)

CIMG0683.jpg

strut and caliper have returned..

CIMG0684.jpg

axle..... a perfect fit or course

CIMG0685.jpg

CIMG0686.jpg

i have to remove the ball joint on the passenger side and install the pasenger axle, tighten down the sway bar, put the tires on and its ready to be droped down! i will have to jack it up again for some wiring tweaking but thats not a big deal... i think its safe to say that this is offically a 5-speed 2001 GP!

What are you going to do as far as a tune? I imagine it's already tuned for the snail, but do you have HPtuners or whatever, and can you change it to think it's in N or D all the time so it works fine with the 5 speed?

I suppose the subframes being hit and miss is because they probably just used up what they had left and started making the newer ones without. My 94 Cutlass actually had a 95 drivetrain in it because it was a late build date, and they must have used up the 94 stock and just finished the remaining 94's with 95 stuff instead of making more. When I had to hunt down a used trans for it, the id tag ran as a 95, we thought that can't be right, yet IIRC they changed the mounting brackets on the trans in 95 and none of the 94 trans's had what mine had, GM does some wierd shit, but it's all to save money I'm sure.

im trading the auto trans and related parts for $250 in turn that 250 goes back to the same person for a custom tune.. so im trading a blown trans for a tune... its kevin from cartuning (he makes the turbo kits) thats making me the deal since my trans is very good for a rebulid.

i have had some crazy projects lol.

anyways, jamie and matt stoped by earlier and saw the closeness of the passenger side axle to the oil filter.. it was a 88 axle end in there, ad i gain a little clearance with the 97+ ones but it still pretty close, i was thinking of useing one from a bonnieville , i think it will work well if this pic is what it looks like

2001bonneoilfilter.jpg

ya well ur outta commission and matt needed it to get back in the game hahahaha

(Ball Joint)

sure sure.....

nice work. How many miles are on this 284?

and how did the 65 blow?....I guess I missed that part. I didn't know it went bad, I thought you just swapped for fun

i sheared the input shaft, mileage is about 95-100k on the trans.

my PCM should be here tomorrow...

anyways thought id post some more pics, ill be driving tomorro if the pcm comes..

CIMG0725.jpg

CIMG0740.jpg

CIMG0742.jpg

CIMG0744.jpg

CIMG0746.jpg

CIMG0751.jpg