Mitch R's TGP Restoration Thread Updated 9-18-18

Dark Ride

Lookin good Mitch. I'll have to swing in sometime to check 'er out. This all at your folks' house in LF right?

At the moment, once I get it back on the ground I'm going to move it up here to my house in Brainerd.

There is gonna be about a nil chance of binding. Im running GMPP rear arms and Gen 2 laterals w/ poly bushings with no binding. No real issues outta my rear setup aside from the noise Aweb RSTB. I cant wait to get that thing off of there for something else.

There is gonna be about a nil chance of binding. Im running GMPP rear arms and Gen 2 laterals w/ poly bushings with no binding. No real issues outta my rear setup aside from the noise Aweb RSTB. I cant wait to get that thing off of there for something else.

Your getting noise from the Aweb RSTB? That makes no sense, it has no moving parts, where is the noise coming from? What kind of noise is it?

Jamie

Your getting noise from the Aweb RSTB? That makes no sense, it has no moving parts, where is the noise coming from? What kind of noise is it?

Jamie

:lol:

Jamie

Settle down skeeter. Its just from the bar itself. With only 1 attatchment bolt on each side for the bar to the bracket (and not a very strong one design wise) its causing the hole to oval on the bar and move.

Mitch, could you do me a favor and take some measurements on the Gen 2 lateral arms? Also that says '02 Grand Prix painted onto the bar, right?

I'm trying to add some information to my site and those measurements would help.

Personally, I'm more worried about the outward bending moment you're putting on the struts and mounts with the increased track width than any binding in the trailing arms. It could potentially blow strut seals sooner, since they'll be forced outward all the time.

Also, could you post the part numbers for the gen 2 trailing arm mounts? I lost them a long time ago... be sure to take some pics when you get those mounted in (before and after), I'm curious to see your rust situation and how you put the bolt-in ones in.

Mitch, could you do me a favor and take some measurements on the Gen 2 lateral arms? Also that says '02 Grand Prix painted onto the bar, right?

Also, could you post the part numbers for the gen 2 trailing arm mounts? I lost them a long time ago... be sure to take some pics when you get those mounted in (before and after), I'm curious to see your rust situation and how you put the bolt-in ones in.

Sure, you just want the length from the center of the bolt holes, right? Yeah, it says '02 GP. I'll post up the part number for the gen 2 mounts, I'll have to find them again. The cool thing is they were only like $7 a piece.

My idea is to cut out the old mounts, and cut about an inch to an inch and a half into the body that the mount is a part of, (the second gen mounts are taller) and then have it reinforced and weld a piece of 1/4" steel in its place. Tap the steel for the bolt holes and bolt the new mounts in. It's seems like it will work in theory, but we'll see once I can look at it again. It sure won't be pretty.

Personally, I'm more worried about the outward bending moment you're putting on the struts and mounts with the increased track width than any binding in the trailing arms. It could potentially blow strut seals sooner, since they'll be forced outward all the time.

Hmm, that's a good point. The strut normally moves outward a little when you go over bumps and stuff though, and I think even when the car is sitting they aren't perfectly up and down, so hopefully the mount will flex a little to take the difference. It's only about half an inch and once it reaches the mount I can't imagine it's more than a degree difference. But I'm not much of a suspension guru. I'm using KYB GR-2s along with new mounts and coilovers so I'm going to hope for the best.

Jamie

Settle down skeeter. Its just from the bar itself. With only 1 attatchment bolt on each side for the bar to the bracket (and not a very strong one design wise) its causing the hole to oval on the bar and move.

I'm REALLY confused... so your blaming the AWEB bar for noise saying "I can't wait to get it off there for something else" when the problem with the bar isn't actually the bar, its the fact that you have it installed wrong? why not save a few bucks, install it properly and be done with it?

And what do you plan to replace it with that is so superior?

Jamie

My RSTB has always been silent.

Mines quiet too! I think we have ours installed wrong, lets face it the ASE tech's bar makes noise, we must of done something wrong...

Jamie

My RSTB has always been silent.

Mines quiet too! I think we have ours installed wrong, lets face it the ASE tech's bar makes noise, we must of done something wrong...

Jamie

Because it can't be the almost 20 year-old car making the noise. :lol:

Wow, getting pissed off because I dont like the design of the wonderful, sexy, superior Adam :rolleyes: What a fuckin joke.

I intend to have a welded bar (i.e. bar welded to mounts) with an adjuster so I can adjust preload similar to my last RSTB (currently on my old CS)

Ill just sell these mounting plates for cheap. If it works for you guys, thats awsome. For me, its noisy and I dont like the lack of preload adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

So in the last few days, I've made major de-rustification progress. I started by sandblasting the back of the car and the crossmember. Then I used rust encapsulator to start sealing the entire rear underbody and wheelwells.

This is before, You can kinda see the rusty crossmember laying off to the side.

03-29-10_1136.jpg

This is after I sandblasted and started applying the rust encapsulator.

03-29-10_1752.jpg

Shiny sandblasted Crossmember

03-30-10_1733.jpg

Freshly coated Crossmember

03-30-10_1933.jpg

I have some more pictures of how the underbody is coming along, but my cell phone won't upload the pics without the adapter, so I'll post them tomorrow when I get back.

What are you using for a rust encapsulator?

I'm using eastwood's rust encapsulator, it's the same stuff that gutless supreme used for his TSTE.

Here is after I fully rust coated the rear underbody, I was using up the rest of a can of red/orange stuff I had.

03-31-10_1744.jpg

Painted Black

03-31-10_1806.jpg

04-01-10_1802.jpg

As it sits now, ready to be put back together.

04-01-10_1841.jpg