Mitch R's TGP Restoration Thread Updated 9-18-18

Dark Ride

Because the turbo 3.1 is what made the TGP a TGP... If you were gonna swap it then couldnt you have used just an SE as thats not a rare car as the TGP is

I disagree, the Turbo is what made the TGP rare, not the amount of displacement.

I'll disagree with that. The TGP unique because of what it is. The engine has a LOT to do with the TGP heritage. Putting the boat anchor in there makes it just another W-body.com hackjob. Sorry man, but if you really want to do that please go find another dime-a-dozen first-gen W and leave the TGP to someone who'll appreciate it and fix it properly.

Sorry Nick, I knew you probably wouldn't like that, but I will have a one-of-a-kind TGP. I've gotta be honest though, I don't understand why everyone is set on keeping the 3.1.

Because it was modified by McLaren and it's the heart and soul of the ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix.

I'll disagree with that. The TGP unique because of what it is. The engine has a LOT to do with the TGP heritage. Putting the boat anchor in there makes it just another W-body.com hackjob. Sorry man, but if you really want to do that please go find another dime-a-dozen first-gen W and leave the TGP to someone who'll appreciate it and fix it properly.

Sorry Nick, I knew you probably wouldn't like that, but I will have a one-of-a-kind TGP. I've gotta be honest though, I don't understand why everyone is set on keeping the 3.1.

Because it was modified by McLaren and it's the heart and soul of the ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix.

One of a million 3800 swaps

Everyone else on this forum would've parted this car, so I really don't think that ANYONE can accuse me of ruining it.

One of a million 3800 swaps

Perhaps, but there are way more people swapping to 3800's than swapping to the LG5. I would totally understand if I was going to put an L67 or I wasn't going to turbo it, but I'm just increasing displacement and running a bigger turbo to make more power.

Please dont do it!!!!! A TGP is only suppose to be a 60 degree V6. Most of us diehard TGP owners are having nightmares at night just thinking about this topic. LOL

i dont see the big deal. Its just the more modern grand prix engine. Its still a grand prix engine and its still going to be turboed. But that jonpro guy on cgp hes nuts. Talking about putting a b4u kit on his tgp..

i dont see the big deal. Its just the more modern grand prix engine. Its still a grand prix engine and its still going to be turboed.

Thank you! Thats exactly the way I feel.

You guys are idiots, seriously...

I got rid of the car because I wanted to move and I kinda wanted RWD..

Keep your shit up, I may end up getting the car back.. And this time I aint fucking around :wink:

Now, back to your normally scheduled thread................ :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

i dont see the big deal. Its just the more modern grand prix engine. Its still a grand prix engine and its still going to be turboed. But that jonpro guy on cgp hes nuts. Talking about putting a b4u kit on his tgp..

:redface:

I changed my mind

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously him just willing to restore that thing is a plus. Just because he might do a swap doesn't mean he is going to throw the old drivetrain away. They might be rare but not soo rare that it will make a huge dent in the TGP world. It could just end up in the scrapper like so many did already. So go for it dude there are still enough stocks left anyways :cool:

Update: Ordering new Rear KYB's and Mounts this week or next + stuff to do the coilover conversion. I got all the ground effects brackets ground off the driver's side in preparation for paint + rust coated the new brackets I got from Danny (Carkhz316) Thanks Man! Going to the Junkyard to get some interior parts to finish the interior.

!! I am looking for eibach or intrax front lowering springs if anyone comes across some. !!

Next up on the agenda is to finish grinding the old brackets off and do the rear coilover swap and at the same replace fuel tank, pump, and filler neck. I'm starting to get excited now that this project is going somewhere, although it probably won't get paint until next summer :sad:

• 8 months later...

I'm getting ready to start this project again now that its finally getting warm up here. This is stuff I actually got done last year but never posted.

08-22-09_1813.jpg

Fuel tank and very rusty exhaust coming out

08-23-09_1749.jpg

Lateral links, first gen versus second, yes the second gens are slightly longer

08-23-09_1204.jpg

I don't think it will be too big of a deal since I can move the trailing arm mount over to keep it from binding. I'll going to weld in a plate for these to be bolted to, to replace what little is left of my stock trailing arm mounts.

08-16-07_0858.jpg

I don't have pictures but I also got my rear bumper, crossmember, and struts out. Everything was ready to be sandblasted but then it got too cold too soon, and I couldn't get it done. So once it hits about 60 degrees, I'm going to get everything sandblasted, rust coated and put back together.

You wont have any binding issues with the trailing arm in the stock location.

You know you will have a slightly wider rear track width, right? Of course thats the nice thing about Gen 2 rear links :high5:

Know would be a great time to do a Gen 2 rear aluminum knuckle and brake swap. I did is just last week and im very happy with the results, properly working rear brakes!! :lol:

Nice job so far man keep it up! Just curious but did you have a turbo in mind yet? I know it may be too soon but just wondering what you are thinking of using. I am starting a new build on a extra crappy 89 that has been already modified for a T3 with the 3.1L but either way good luck and keep us all updated. :high5:

You wont have any binding issues with the trailing arm in the stock location.

You know you will have a slightly wider rear track width, right? Of course thats the nice thing about Gen 2 rear links :high5:

Yeah, I think the slightly wider track width will be nice, should help my Lumina Rear sway bar fit better too since that bar is a little longer. You don't think the trailing arms will bind even though the knuckle will be half an inch farther out on both sides?

Nice job so far man keep it up! Just curious but did you have a turbo in mind yet? I know it may be too soon but just wondering what you are thinking of using. I am starting a new build on a extra crappy 89 that has been already modified for a T3 with the 3.1L but either way good luck and keep us all updated. :high5:

I don't really have any idea what turbo I'm going to use, there are a number of turbo kits for the 3800, but I was looking at the stattama turbo kit with the smaller of the two turbo options, for a little better spool time.