FIXED! Primary Cooling Fan

Addicted To Boost

My primary cooling fan isn't working. I put a paper clip in my diagnostic port, and my secondary fan turns on, but the primary doesn't. The relays are good, I can swap relays between the two fans, and the secondary will work with both relays. They ohmed out good as well. I tried swapping in a fan from a 93 GP with 68k on it today, and that fan doesn't turn on either. I checked voltage at the relays on the passenger fender, and I'm getting 12.7 volts at the terminals for the secondary, and nothing at the terminals for the primary. All underhood fuses are good and the car works fine otherwise.

Any ideas guys?

there are two wires at the fan plug. got an multi-meter?

should be:

one is ground, check for continuity

one comes from the relay, check for continuity

also, is there power at the relay?

Which fuse is this?

Please bare with me, this car didn't come with a manual, and I don't have a service manual for it either. :frown:

You said it had blown a couple of fuses recently? Check the 10 amp IGN fuse in that fuse box. The 20 amp is a fusible link. Sorry for that confusion.

I bet the wire lead in the relay box is corroded.

I don't know, there wasn't any on my 1992, remember this is Phoenix, AZ.

it can still be damaged. maybe overheated from overuse and corroded due to that.

You said it had blown a couple of fuses recently? Check the 10 amp IGN fuse in that fuse box. The 20 amp is a fusible link. Sorry for that confusion.

That was the first thing I checked ;) The regular fuses all looked good.

it can still be damaged. maybe overheated from overuse and corroded due to that.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what this wire lead in the relay box is?

Which fuse is this?

Please bare with me, this car didn't come with a manual, and I don't have a service manual for it either. :frown:

should have grabed that owners manual at the yard today lol

That was the first thing I checked ;) The regular fuses all looked good.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what this wire lead in the relay box is?

if you pop the box out and look at the underside... it is where the wire attacheds to the metal end clip in the fuse box...

I have this same problem on my 95 where only the secondary fan kicks on. Im actually working on it today, so maybe if I discover something, Ill pass that along to you.

The wire leads look fine, there didn't appear to be any corrosion on them.

Anyone have a diagram or manual handy that says what all the fuses and relays are in the passenger side fuse box?

How about the relay? Not sure where it is, it should be somewhere nearby. Check all of those. Can someone chime in as to exactly which one it is?

To test, swap the relays for the primary and secondary fan and see if they kick on.

Sorry Nick, my wife's in the hospital and when my truck broke on 92 GP, I forgot all about it. It is in sitting the garage though so I see it and tonight when I get home, I'll put up the charts for you.