Bad News, Good News

Addicted To Boost

Yeah... this is bad. But how is this happening? My engine oil has stayed at the full level and is as clean as when I put it in in January. Trans fluid is full and decently clean.. Where is this muck coming from??

Pics attached below, sorry they are cellphone pics.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/blackswift99/1991%20GP%20SE/Image0322.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/blackswift99/1991%20GP%20SE/Image0342.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/blackswift99/1991%20GP%20SE/Image0352.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/blackswift99/1991%20GP%20SE/Image0362.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• jake91

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

This is just water too! lol When I bought the car, there was no coolant in it. I filled it with water and drove it home.. so this is just water.

No, I just filled it with water once, I haven't flushed it. The strange thing is, the car runs consistently at about 150* (according to the gauge) and the hottest it ever gets is 220* if you are sitting and idling for a long time.

The previous owner put a 180* t-stat in it, and replaced the upper radiator hose because the hose "blew off" at some point.. The funny thing is, last week I drove the car to school while I had my bike apart and after I backed into my parking spot, I found a trail of water that came from the car. I opened the hood and my upper rad hose had popped off the radiator. I don't know why it happened, the car didn't overheat or anything.. I just popped it back on and tightened it down good and tight..

Is there a product I can flush this with, besides water? This stuff is kinda sticking to the sides of the radiator.. It almost needs a degreasing agent to get all this shit out.

I've done a flush on my TGP before with just pure water, but that cooling system wasn't dirty in the first place. I'll use the same method, but like I said, I will probably need some kinda degreasing agent to put in before I flush it.

I'd just take it to GET flushed! But I'm sure you want to do it yourself!

I will do it myself. Its not hard and I don't have money to take it to a shop anyway. As said in the above post, I've done flushes before.

I"m sure a mild solvent or baking soda type cleaner will work.

baking soda works on batteries and this stuff isn't acid.....so I'm not sure if it will work, but there has to be something out there via a home remedy.

I would think there has to be some kind of solvent I can use to clean it with.. I just need something that will remove the material from sticking to the hard surfaces of the cooling system and make it just float around in the water so I can drain it and flush it for a good 20 minutes..

I've used Bars Stop-Leak before, it worked all right. I used it in the Suburban. The leak was very minimal though so I don't know how it would work on a bigger leak.

I've never used any of their other products though.

STOP STOP STOP!!!

what you see is simply rusty crud built up in the radiator.

HOW LONG has the coolant been only water?

are you capable of removing the radiator?

DO NOT USE BARS LEAK!

The coolant has been only water for about a month and a half. I can remove the radiator, yes, as long as it doesn't require removal of the facia or major bodywork. I have plenty of tools here.