Cost to have EGR Valve Cleaned?

2002ls1z

What does this normally run? My SES light came on today and I pulled code P0404. I cleared it and it came back on again after decelerating off the highway. Can someone explain what is actually happening? It's my understanding that the remedy is either cleaning the EGR valve or replacing it.

I had, and have again, the same problem with my 3100. The cause for mine was the small port between the EGR and throttle body was clogged with carbon. Last time I cleaned it simply with brushes and I got no SES light for a few months. Now it comes back on when coming off the highway and brushes arent cutting it this time, its pretty thick.

I asked a guy and he said it gets cleaned with a moto-vac service, which runs like $120.

I had, and have again, the same problem with my 3100. The cause for mine was the small port between the EGR and throttle body was clogged with carbon. Last time I cleaned it simply with brushes and I got no SES light for a few months. Now it comes back on when coming off the highway and brushes arent cutting it this time, its pretty thick.

I asked a guy and he said it gets cleaned with a moto-vac service, which runs like $120.

The moto-vac works awsome, I use it at work occasionally. But one drawback, it sends cleaner through the injectors, not the intake, so on a lot of cars, it wont even touch the carbon in the EGR passageways

The moto-vac works awsome, I use it at work occasionally. But one drawback, it sends cleaner through the injectors, not the intake, so on a lot of cars, it wont even touch the carbon in the EGR passageways

Thats what I thought. He just wants my money to not even clean the real problem. Any tips on what to use to clean it?

Do most fuel injection services include cleaning the EGR or do I need to ask specifically for the EGR valve to be cleaned? I'd like to fix it right the first time and hate to spend money having it cleaned and the same problem pop up again. It looks like I can get an EGR Valve for about $70 and Mitchell 1 says the labor rate is about $60 for EGR replacement.

If you have a small set of sockets, you can do it yourself and save the money. A can of carb cleaner is $5, EGR gasket is only a few bucks, and wire brushes are pretty cheap.

This is what your egr looks like, or something very very similar: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/egrbolts.jpg

Unplug the electrical harness that comes out of the top of it. Next, undo the two bolts that hold it in place. They are directly across from each other, the actual EGR in the middle.

Once you get the bolts out, the EGR should come off. Remove the old gasket, and clean both surfaces of any old gasket materail. Your wire brush will do this just fine.

Now, you will see a little hole that looks like it go's back into the intake manifold. Take your carb cleaner, put the little straw in the nozzle, put it in that hole, and spray. You will probably make a mess of things, but don't worry, that stuff dries up pretty quickly. Do this several times.

Then, reassemble.

Now, keep in mind, since you just sprayed carb cleaner into your intake manifold, the first time you attempt to start it up, it may not want to. Just try a few times, and you will finally get it to start.

Then your done.

If you have a small set of sockets, you can do it yourself and save the money. A can of carb cleaner is $5, EGR gasket is only a few bucks, and wire brushes are pretty cheap.

This is what your egr looks like, or something very very similar: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/egrbolts.jpg

Unplug the electrical harness that comes out of the top of it. Next, undo the two bolts that hold it in place. They are directly across from each other, the actual EGR in the middle.

Once you get the bolts out, the EGR should come off. Remove the old gasket, and clean both surfaces of any old gasket materail. Your wire brush will do this just fine.

Now, you will see a little hole that looks like it go's back into the intake manifold. Take your carb cleaner, put the little straw in the nozzle, put it in that hole, and spray. You will probably make a mess of things, but don't worry, that stuff dries up pretty quickly. Do this several times.

Then, reassemble.

Now, keep in mind, since you just sprayed carb cleaner into your intake manifold, the first time you attempt to start it up, it may not want to. Just try a few times, and you will finally get it to start.

Then your done.

I don't work on cars myself. Trust me, it would end up worse. :lol:

I bought two EGR's for my car form a junkyard for $25 and change ($12.56 each). Took me a whole of an hour to take it off, visit the junkyard, pull two off, go back home, and replace the old one. I bought two in case one of them wouldn't work.

If you really need another EGR, I can find one for you at the local yards here in Cali, which are all rust free.

Then, reassemble.

Then your done.

Hey slick

The way you mentioned about disassembling the egr solenoid I have a question. I mean Its bad to put the the pin holes that's under the egr solenoid soaked in TB Cleaner right? I thought it was just good to just work at it with a wire brush or whatever to get the pin holes cleaned as best as possible. I ask this because my cutty was obd 1 '95 3100. It had the 3 part solenoid, and not the little cylinder shape you see on the 96-99 obd 2 w bodys. I had soaked in TB cleaner and wasn't the smartest thing because it basically stained the whole thing red. I don't know if the cleaner eats at the electrical windings inside of it.