'98 Regal GS will not start *it runs!!!!*

TurboSedan

so a few weeks ago my Regal GS just wouldn't start one morning. i could hear the fuel pump prime when i turned the key to the 'ON' posistion, but when i checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail nothing came out except a small dribble. ok, it must be the fuel pump....

so i ordered a new Walbro fuel pump and harness kit from PRJ Performance. i installed the Walbro into the existing fuel pump modules per directions (i haven't installed the separate harness yet). it still won't start and i had an SES light. i borrowed Dan's LS1M scanner and came up with only one code:

P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input

would that code cause a no start issue? cleared the code and still no start. is there anything else i can look into? i really don't think it's the fuel pump resistor because it would probably just start up and die quickly if it was. anyway, this morning i bought a Delphi fuel pump module from rockauto.com. if that doesn't fix it then i'm ready to haul it to the GM dealership to let them figure it out.

oh i should add - after i replaced the fuel pump i now have fuel shooting out the schrader valve test port on the fuel rail (i haven't actually checked psi with a gauge yet). so it seems i now have fuel but the car still doesn't want to start. i can still hear the fuel pump prime too.

if the Delphi fuel pump i ordered isn't needed i would LOVE to return it (it cost me nearly $300).

in lieu of a noid light, get either a test light or a small light bulb and plug it into a injector plug and see if it flashes when cranking.

Edit: also pull a plug and see if it smells of gasoline. that would be a good indication of whether or not fuel is getting into the engine

cool i will go buy a test light. my old one broke and i need another anyway.

i did pull one plug and it definitely smelled like gasoline and was blackened. it was kind of wet too.

i have a timing light so checking for spark should be easy.

checked for spark with my timing light and and NOTHING. i checked multiple wires too so i don't think it's just one coil pack. wouldn't i have gotten a code for something if it were a bad CKP or ICM? i'm lost now what lol.

thanks again

checked for spark with my timing light and and NOTHING. i checked multiple wires too so i don't think it's just one coil pack. wouldn't i have gotten a code for something if it were a bad CKP or ICM? i'm lost now what lol.

thanks again

check fuses for the PCM... Thats the first place to start.. Do you have a scan tool??? Run the live data and see if the PCM is getting a cranking signal..

i have an LS1M but i'm not really familiar with how to use it (it's Dan's).

i will go out and check the fuses. they would be in the power center next to the battery underhood right?

That changes the whole direction of this little problem! When the CPS went on the Bonneville it gave me plenty of notice including a SES code. However that is not always the case. do you have a spare ICM you can toss at it?

And yes, that's where the fuses ought to be.

i checked the PCM fuse and it looked good to me. so is this looking like a bad ICM? i don't have a spare i can throw in. so what's up with the code i'm getting now? because i never had that before.

oh ok. you see, i was not able to get the fuel pump module 'seated' because it was a total bitch to press down hard enough to get the lock ring back into place. so i think that's why i have gotten that code. i'm waiting for Dan to come over and help me get that done. so that solves that.

so do you think it's fair to say i need a new ICM?

IT RUNS :) huge thanks to Dan letting me use the ICM from his GTP! it didn't start up right away probably because it was flooded and it's only 5*F right now. we put the timing light on it and it was indeed getting spark. it took awhile but it finally fired up and a huge cloud of black smoke came out the tailpipe lol. runs great though. looks like i will be ordering a new Delphi ICM from rockauto.com soon.

thanks for all the help!!!!!!

aaaaaaaand it won't start again. this time it's not getting any fuel. yesterday when the car was running the gas gauge read totally empty, but today it's reading totally full. so i think i fucked up the level sending unit somehow.

at this point i'm going to install the new Delphi fuel pump module i ordered a few days ago (should be here this next Thursday). i will have Dan help me install it so i don't fuck anything up lol. he's already done this job on his GTP before. i'm so damn frustrated with this thing.

after i get the new Delphi fuel pump module and Delphi ICM installed i am probably going to take the car to Midas and have them install all of the struts, outer tierods, rotors/pads, mount balance new tires, 4 wheel alignment, install motor/trans mounts etc. i am sooo fucking sick of working on cars anymore and besides it's freeezing ass cold out anyway.

sometimes i think working on cars was just a phase for me and i'm slowly getting really sick of it. i'd rather just bring the car somewhere to get fixed rather than have to deal with all of this shit.