Blown High Pressure Power Steering Hose

Addicted To Boost

Are you sure its the high side, or that return/ cooler line? because I know at least for the cooler line, you can take the airbox out and take the fittings out of the rack that way (through the top, then wiggle it out from underneath.) Is this on your TGP, as I'm not sure on the turbo setup, but for sure on the NA 3.1

This is on the 91 GP, 3.1 N/A. I am positive it is the high pressure line, I wiped it off and there is a slit in it that is weeping PS fluid.

What are you guys using to bust these fittings loose from the rack? I tried a regular combination wrench, but it was too long to work. Then I tried an 18mm crows foot and that fit on there better, but this is in such a tight area that I can't seem to get enough leverage on there to bust em loose without the wrench slipping upward off the fitting..

What are you guys using to bust these fittings loose?

Can you fit a 18mm stubby wrench in there? I haven't personally changed the lines on a W - but at work stubby wrenches are almost a must have to do power steering lines lol

I went and picked up a stubby 18mm and that did the trick. New line is in, and no more leaks! Now I get to drive my $200 GP :mrgreen:

nicely done! when i did my rack and pinion, i swapped out the high pressure hose at the same time because mine has been leaking since i bought the car 4 years ago :lol:

just for future reference, go to your local harbor frieght store and buy some crow's feet. a set is like 10 bucks, and that will help get in those hard to reach places....

good to hear you got it all squared away!

Thanks. Actually, I tried crows feet first, and I couldn't get enough leverage on it to bust em loose. A stubby 18mm was the perfect length.

Do you know if that return line on your '91 GP is the same as my '90 Lumina? If so, I might want to pay one of you guys to go buy me the return line for my Lumina and ship it to me lol.

It blew up again, and I'm not going to piece it back together this time - just want to replace the whole line. GM discontinued it, and the only place that sells something other than bulk hose for the return was Napa. They are ordering me the part, but I have a feeling it isn't the correct one.