My stupid doors again

GPX

I'm not at all a fan of sedans, but right about now, I'm wishing I had those short, solid doors. Last winter I had so much trouble with both the doors and windows of my CS. I spent time this summer replacing the passenger side handle (a cheap aftermarket assembly that had me grinding flanges on my door and cast parts on the assembly just to get it to half-assed fit. It did fit and worked--until it got cold. then I had to push on the top of the escutcheon and pull the handle to get it to work. I also spent time making sure the driver's side was properly adjusted.

Then the other nite after work (we'd had a lot of mixed precip) I went to open the door and broke the driver's side handle and the passenger's side was so frozen, it got to sit there all nite. The next day a 5-gallon pail of hot water thawed it out. I'm so pissed! It's sitting in my garage now, waiting for a game plan...

Yeah, I'm just whining...but one question: does anyone know of a GOOD aftermarket handle or are they all junk?

Yeah, all aftermarkets are junk... Turns out the one I broke was an aftermarked. I got a nice OEM one from the JY for $6 and comparing the 2 together shows how cheap the Taiwanese aftermarket piece really is

I never had trouble with my door handles over 15yrs. Just use them to unlatch the door and open an inch or so and then pull the door the rest of the way open by grasping the pillar itself. Make that a habit and the door handle will last forever.

I HAVE had to replace door handles on every 2-dr W at or near when I first bought them though. If the top of the handle is tipped out at all, it won't last a whole lot longer.

Shawn, also you live in a somewhat better climate area. Up north things get a good deal more harry when everything ices over and we will be below freezing for weeks at a time. every winter I drove my Z in was a constant fight to even be able to gain entry to my car. So maybe the great white north is harder on door handles?

That said... I've been through 2-3 handles in 5 years, and every replacement was a bent junkyard unit.

Yeah, true, that's a good point. We haven't even had any snow accumulation yet AND my Cutlass has been garaged the past 8-years. I do remember silicone grease on the rubber seals does wonders for making the door open more easily once you've cracked all the ice out from around it. I also remember I never pulled on the handle when it was iced over, I'd pull the handle out to end of travel and then pull at the top of the door where the frame meets the rubber drain channel seal.

My handles are ok, they might need to be adjusted. But when it gets real cold the door just doesn't work!

Inside or out!

Yeah, right now, my poor car is sitting in the garage with passenger door frozen open and driver's door only able to open from the inside. It was -20 degrees F at my house last nite (no, that's not with the windchill!). I don't work outside when it's that cold. In fact I don't work outside (except to shovel) when it's +20!

I never had trouble with my door handles over 15yrs. Just use them to unlatch the door and open an inch or so and then pull the door the rest of the way open by grasping the pillar itself. Make that a habit and the door handle will last forever.

What if the door is frozen shut?

I said this in another thread, but I make a habit of bodyslamming the door before I even pull the handle. If you don't do it too awful hard in the wrong place you won't damage the door and you'll break the ice loose.

I went to open my door tonight....and had to go in the passenger side for the second time this week.

And it opened fine from the inside too, so I don't know what the fuck is going on other than that I need to move the fuck out of here!

I haven't broken a handle on my cars yet. :mrgreen: My 260K mile 1993 Grand Prix does have a GM replacement handle on it though. My parent's had one break around ~160,000 miles. They used to use the door handle to pull the entire door open instead of grasping the top to pull it. GM replacements are the way to go...junkyards usually have plenty of them for cheap. I've seen a ton of aftermarket handles broken in the junkyards lately. :razz:

I said this in another thread, but I make a habit of bodyslamming the door before I even pull the handle. If you don't do it too awful hard in the wrong place you won't damage the door and you'll break the ice loose.

You have pussy ice in Ohio! :lol: