Turn Signal Troubles

Ned Flanders

No big deal, but sometimes when I go to make a left turn, the turn signal won't come on. The indicators doesn't light up and the lights don't flash. I have to whack the stalk up and down a few times to make it work.

Is there some sort of contact that's not working...or is this an indicator of something more? The bulbs all work. I haven't tried it, but I've been thinking of squirting some compressed air where the stalk meets the wheel.

This is a 95 Buick Regal, 3.1, with the coolant ever-leak option and the bird-crap attracting paint job.

No big deal, but sometimes when I go to make a left turn, the turn signal won't come on. The indicators doesn't light up and the lights don't flash. I have to whack the stalk up and down a few times to make it work.

Is there some sort of contact that's not working...or is this an indicator of something more? The bulbs all work. I haven't tried it, but I've been thinking of squirting some compressed air where the stalk meets the wheel.

This is a 95 Buick Regal, 3.1, with the coolant ever-leak option and the bird-crap attracting paint job.

MediaBandit is dead on.

In the meantime you can force the turning stalk down a little more than normal to ensure that you're signalling your turns, but eventually that will fail and you won't be able to signal the left turns at all.

You may already have or be in the process of losing your left brake light as well.

Here, these are $250-300 Cdn to do (labour in), so in the States I would say $175-250 at a shop, probably a small premium if you go to Generous Motors and ask them to hook you up.

Do your brake lights still work? EVERY 1.5 Lumina Isee now has no signal lights and no brake lights.

I've found it's usually only on the side of the affected signal.

• 1 year later...

Alright, a HUGE bump for this topic, but only because it is the exact same issue I am having and all of the information is already here in this thread.

My question is, my turn signal has been doing this for some time and when it gets super cold it stops working completely. Yet if I pull back on it a bit as if I'm using my brights, it comes on. My right blinker still blinks but the left one will only come on solid.

I have NOT noticed any kind of brake light issue however, do they always happen together? Maybe my brake lights are acting up but I don't know it?!?

Alright, a HUGE bump for this topic, but only because it is the exact same issue I am having and all of the information is already here in this thread.

My question is, my turn signal has been doing this for some time and when it gets super cold it stops working completely. Yet if I pull back on it a bit as if I'm using my brights, it comes on. My right blinker still blinks but the left one will only come on solid.

I have NOT noticed any kind of brake light issue however, do they always happen together? Maybe my brake lights are acting up but I don't know it?!?

That's definitely your turn signal switch. 100% sure.