3800 Harmonic Balancer/crank pulley removal - how?

ismellrealbad

I do not have the special tool, a harmonic balancer puller doesnt work cuz theres no place to thread bolts (there are holes, but no threads), and its too damn big for a jaw-type puller. How the fuck do you get this thing off?

I do not have the special tool, a harmonic balancer puller doesnt work cuz theres no place to thread bolts (there are holes, but no threads), and its too damn big for a jaw-type puller. How the fuck do you get this thing off?

You really need the special puller to get it off... Sometimes you can get them off with a big slide hammer and a claw attatchment hammering around the outside of it.. You can damage it like that too, so be careful

You need a puller and 3 long 1/4" bolts...Inside those holes are the threads for 1/4" bolts...

Hang on Rob, I'll get pics as I have a 3800 HB off.

:bash: where can you buy or rent special tools from? I tried looking online n couldnt find anything. Can I goto the dealer?

Autozone rents out tools... might see if they have one.

They dont have one for his app.. Sometimes you can get the chrysler remover to work if you grind on it...

The puller was $16 at AZ and the bolts were .35 each at Lowes...

Back:

100_4780.jpg

Front:

100_4781.jpg

With puller:

100_4782.jpg

Of course you want to get washers too but this is how it's done with 1/4" bolts...I don't remember the thread count though. :bash:

Unless L67 is different.

Thats the puller I have. The bolts i have are 5/16, I prolly just needed the 1/4

Jay thanks for the pics, the L67s' is exactly like that but where the front of yours curves inwards, mine curves out.

I'll pick up those bolts tomorrow, if not I can just buy the zzp bolts mentioned above

339_1.jpg