Can I just put a cone right to my TB?

lb79theone

:arrow:

Hi all!

I was just wondering, I have a ram air intake on my 3100 ls Monte and I had it fall down a few times now over bumps because it is freely hanging there, and its clamped fairly tight on there now but, and I was just wondering if I can just put a cone right on the TB? I know older muscle cars do it like Novas and there carbd but I was wondering if I can do that also? I have a O2 sensor and a mass air flow sensor and IDK if I can do this or not. I see when ppl install FWIs that they do not do these sensors? So can I just clamp a cone on my TB or no?

Thanks in advance!

Sure you can!!! It just wont run worth a damn or run at all..

The MAF is what tells the PCM the most to be used for fueling calculations. Go without it, and at best, the ECM goes into limp mode and runs the best it can off the default VE map.

Also, it will suck up warm air, far warmer than stock and will loose power. You want to get cold air, so go over you CAI a bit more, make sure its secure and fab up a bracket to keep it secure.

The guys you see without the MAF are the guys on here with 2.8L/3.1L MPFI engines, which since 1989 didnt have a MAF, they strickly used the MAP sensor for VE fueling.

Heres a couple shots of my CAI I fabbed up. Its 3", so if you are running smaller, you need to go 3" for best results.

100_1034.jpg

100_1027.jpg

Also, make sure the MAF isnt within 8" of the TB.. Trust me on this. Our MAF has a bit of lag from when it gets the signal from the incoming air to the time the ECM uses it for fueling. Its only a couple milliseconds, but run the MAF too close or too far, and you will notice it run a bit bad.

Yes, there is a setting for how many inches the MAF is from the TB. ROFL!

No, there isnt, but there is a response time...

Sorry, this info comes from a electronic engineer for ACDelco and Delphi... I have no reason to doubt what he says

And I even tried it, trial and error.. Throttle response was noticably bad when I had it right near the TB, had slight hesitation and a slight miss here and there..

I changed it back and dont have an issue whatsoever

Soo, im going off advice from an electical engineer for GM who I used to work with and my real life experience

• 1 month later...

No they were doing them to improve mpgs! I swear! Ahh! :willynilly:

Buck is right. WAI will make you mpg go up some in winter temps, But you will lose you ass in the summer. so CAI= Summer WAI=Winter

i wasnt considering putting on a cone directly to the TB but i was just saying with Speed-Density it is possible( not sure what to do about the IAT sensor though...)

feel free to point it out to me...

i'm linking to photobucket cause i don't know what else to do

Im too lazy to look back and see what this post is referencing but you do not have a maf and if your looking for mpg then plug your IAT back in.

feel free to point it out to me...

i'm linking to photobucket cause i don't know what else to do

Im too lazy to look back and see what this post is referencing but you do not have a maf and if your looking for mpg then plug your IAT back in.

i know i don't have a MAF, i was just making it obvious to those that should think otherwise...

and the car hasn't been driven for a while so i yanked the battery and have it hooked up to a battery maintainer, thats why the IAT is unplugged, little less work getting the battery back in when i do need to drive it.