Convertible Owners Specific Whatever Thread

jake91

Okay I have read through a few threads on this, but I didnt find my answer. I just drove my car in the rain for the first time today, and I found that it seems to have that notorious leak in the rear window. Causing water to collect in the vinyl well behind the rear seats. What I was wanting to know is there anything I can seal it with for the time being. Just untill I get a new top next winter. Now I dont want to do anything that will hurt the top more, or the rear window. Because when I get a new top I was hoping to not have to replace the back window. Not much water leaked in. It was only around a cup, but I still want try and do somthing about it

Thanks alot

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• jake91

• swift13

• ManicMechanic

I used some roofing sealer strips on each side where the flaps tuck in... I'll take pics tomorrow. That was where my service manual said to seal and I ran my hose over the back and no water leaked in.

now would something like that get stuck to the window. were i cant get it off of it down the road. because i live in az were it is 110* in the summer

is it leaking through the back window??along the bottom or the sides??

mine was along the bottom and i used RTV silicone caulk, just a small bead where ever the break in the seal is along the glass and apply pressure for like 5-10 minutes to hold in place. its a clear caulk in a little bottle(very handy) and it doesnt look bad at all. and can come off just by peeling and scraping.

but if that is your problem with a leak in that area your gonna wanna replace the back glass too when you get a new top, i think its like a $200 difference

im pretty sure it is coming through the back window. from what i have read on here. it seems that is the common place. i do know it is either leakind in from the bottom right or the right side of the window do to watter location. so i figured just to be safe if i went with silicone caulk i would just put a small amount aroun the entire window. So i cant use the glass again? because i thought i could.

take a glass of water and try and see where it is leaking if you havent already put the silicone on yet and if you have try it any way to see if there are any places you missed.

when i get my top replaced im gonna replace the glass and flap as well for one im changing the color of the top and two the busted seal along the bottom. but i did find a good piece of glass with a good seal at thy j/y so i can use that and save the cost

Interesting, I thought they all had them! I know my 94 has one - you should be able to see it by looking down into the well on the passenger side from the back seat. You should also be able to see, from the trunk, a clear plastic tube comming from the bottom of the well. I'll post up a pic of mine when I get outta work...

Interesting, I thought they all had them! I know my 94 has one - you should be able to see it by looking down into the well on the passenger side from the back seat. You should also be able to see, from the trunk, a clear plastic tube comming from the bottom of the well. I'll post up a pic of mine when I get outta work...

1994 was a strange year. I've seen some '94s with them and many without. My late car does not have it, nor did my parts car.

1994 was a strange year. I've seen some '94s with them and many without. My late car does not have it, nor did my parts car.

Passenger side of the stow? I'll see if mine has it.

Ok, here's what I've got. Picture one is the drain in the stow as seen from the trunk . If you follow that hose to the back of the car behind the wheel well it goes to a T. Picture two is of the T. one of the hoses is a drain for the radio antenna, the other goes down and out of the car. Picture three is of the drain in the stow as seen from the passenger side back seat.

So i cant use the glass again? because i thought i could.

It is my understanding, from the person that did my top last year, that you can not reuse just the glass alone. The glass and canvas area around it is called the "curtain" and only comes as a one piece unit. If your leak is around the glass, then the curtain is shot and will need to be replaced also. It is common with age, for the canvas to start to pull away from the glass along the bottom, and is probably were your leak is coming from. But even if it's not now, and starts after you've had a new top installed, I believe the expense of having it replaced later will be more than doing it at the same time as the top. In my opinion, not replacing it with the top is like changing the oil, and not the filter. :rolleyes:

Tom

thats sweet im gonna have to find one at the j/y or just make something in the shop

For it to have come that way from the factory isn't what I would call a confidence builder :lol:

Tom

So i cant use the glass again? because i thought i could.

It is my understanding, from the person that did my top last year, that you can not reuse just the glass alone. The glass and canvas area around it is called the "curtain" and only comes as a one piece unit. If your leak is around the glass, then the curtain is shot and will need to be replaced also. It is common with age, for the canvas to start to pull away from the glass along the bottom, and is probably were your leak is coming from. But even if it's not now, and starts after you've had a new top installed, I believe the expense of having it replaced later will be more than doing it at the same time as the top. In my opinion, not replacing it with the top is like changing the oil, and not the filter. :rolleyes:

Tom

okay good to know. i guess i will just have to suck it up, and forget about getting a radio for it. :sad: