Blower Resistor and Hi speed Relay?

Regal_GS_1989

So, I had a fantastic fucking weekend!!! Not only is the hi speed relay stuck, but now the blower resistor pack took a shit. When i bought the car, speeds 1 and 2 never worked, and I always thought that it was something with the control, but after a little research, It looks as if it was always a resistor problem. Anyways, All I would like to know is the location of both of these items, and P/N if possible. I will be trying to locate parts and hopefully fixing it all tomorrow.

To top everything off, I'm having issues starting my Z71, so so much for my back up vehicle. It looks as if there is a bad connection somewhere, because it barely charges at idle, and I had to crawl underneith and play around with the starter for it to finally crank over. Only happened after i took it out and played in the snow, so i'll have to check all that out too.

TIA

Which car again?

in the gen 1 W-bodies, the resistor pack is on the bottom of the HVAC box, slightly to the right of the hump, and all the way back against the firewall. is has two wire connectors.

ACDELCO Part # 1580571 More Info {#12135102, 15304891, 1580543, 158666, 89018643, 89019101}

Blower Motor Resistor w/A/C MAN CONT(C60)

Should be around $30.00

Drop the blower motor out first. Then, reach up high and you'll find it. There is one bolt on the resistor that is a bitch to get to. Oh, passenger side of the car. Move the seat back and prepare to spend some time on your back looking up.

I changed it on my sister's '02 GP. I don't remember having to remove the blower motor, but I had to contort myself quite well and I ended up removing the pass side seat for easier access (only 2 bolts plus the seatbelt).

Well, everything is fixed now. Got an aftermarket replacement for 30 bucks, but it looks to be much better build than the GM one, it uses actual resistors. Now all 5 fan speeds work as they should. Replacement was pretty straightforward. Remove the kick panel, remove the blower, remove the resistor, and then reverse to the installation. You dont really need to remove the blower, but it can make access a lot easier. I kinda cheated though, as I couldn't reach the last bolt, so i just snapped the old resistor, removed the bolt, and then left it out when I replaced it. I'm not too concerned about it failing, and if it does, it will be just that much easier to replace.

anyone have a picture of the resistor? I have the same problem, just not sure what to replace because I dont know what it looks like.

82059237.gif

Here is a diagram showing you the approximate location of the resistor pack

188069_05silverodo_2.jpg

And this one is of the replacement unit. Basically, just follow the wires from the blower motor and you'll find the resistor pack. There is a 7 wire plug that plugs into it.

I have always removed the blower to get at the resistor, makes life easier, and the bolt at the back can be a real pain when you cant just break it out lol (customers car) I found if you have a flexible extention and tear out a peice of that black carpet crap it makes life 10 times easier.

I have always removed the blower to get at the resistor, makes life easier, and the bolt at the back can be a real pain when you cant just break it out lol (customers car) I found if you have a flexible extention and tear out a peice of that black carpet crap it makes life 10 times easier.

I think I ended up using a 7mm offset boxed wrench on that bolt.