W bodies with the Wrong stock wheels

ns87

Taylor.....good to see you around. I always liked your white vert

Thanks. Wish I still had it. Was totaled when a tree fell on it. I think of all my cars, I miss my 1988 the most though. The gold one I build from the ground up. Unfortunately, the cancer (rust) got too bad.

This is what it was at its prime.

1988ext.jpg

Its hard for me to look at pics of it. I remember what it was before the rust got too bad and it makes me want to cry.

It was preventable if I had just known to watch for it. Damn beach.

I learned a lot about these cars from working on it though. Can't wait to do some of the things I did to it to my current Cutlass.

I'm also considering some "wrong wheels" for my 1997 Cutlass Supreme, but that will not happen any time soon.

Edited by Taylor

IMG_0887.jpg

Prolly hard to see with the resize but my olds rockets were body matched. Looked tight.

Pretty sure the name of this color is bright aqua metallic. At lest for 94 it was. Cant recall the paint code though.

Well sunny beach you sneak back in here...wheelchair

• 3 weeks later...

i miss the car, I just dont miss the engine.

The thing that stands out too me, for the Cutlass 5-spokes, the center of the wheel where it bolts to the car sticks out further than the rim. I hate that look. For the GP's, the center is more inside, and the rim sticks out further. Its really probably about the same, but with the GP's being a 16X7 vs the 16x6.5 of the Cutlass, I guess its more exaggerated on the cutlass.

I am looking for new wheels for my Cutlass, but will not get anything until it gets closer to time for new tires.

So far I'm considering the GP 5-spokes, the newer GP twisted crosslaces, the Impala 5-spokes (that look very similar to the older B-Body ones), and AE 077's

Decision will be made next year probably.

I think the "twisted gp 5 spokes" would look good if you can work out the back spacing issue.

I have seen a couple of older 1st gens with those rims.

I put the GP 5-spokes on my Cutlass for the same reason that Taylor described. But the other big difference is how the tire lines up with the body. The GP wheels are not only wider, but have a slightly different offset it seems, so they stick out farther and seem to fill in the Cutlass wheel wells better. The stock Cutlass 5-spokes seem to be too far inset into the wheel well, which I don't like. My winter wheels are the Cutlass 5-spokes, and I switch to GP 5-spokes for the summer so I notice the difference every year.

for the Cutlass 5-spokes, the center of the wheel where it bolts to the car sticks out further than the rim. I hate that look.

Oh man, you read my mind!! :lol:

I've always thought the Cutlass 5-spokes were ugly, and wife does too. They're very convex. I've always preferred concave wheels which is why I got the ones I got on my 89 and the 077s on the 94.

In the past few years, I've noticed concave has become a "thing". Vossen seems to have made it more popular with their very concave CV3 wheels.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/5813434248_704aa95763_b.jpg

I've wondered how my 89 would look with Niche Milan (Vossen CV3 clone for a quarter the price), 8.5" in the front and their ultra concave 10.5" in the rear. I know it's ridiculous to run wider tires on the rear of a FWD, but it'd look so badass. :lol: Not to mention it'd bring the rear more flush with the quarter panels without spacers.

I, for one, actually like the cutty 5 spokes on there.

the side profile looks ok, but wait till you look at it from an angle. The offset is way off and the wheels are set in on the B4U. Looks retarded.

I don't care for the grand prix twisted 5-spokes... For some odd reason they make me hungry for pretzel sticks..... Just something about them.....

Honey-Wheat-Pretzels.jpg

There is 2 different style rims I've heard of referred to as "torque star's" so not sure which ones you are referring too.

I've heard of the twisted 5-spokes referred too as "torque star" but the original gm torque star wheel was on the Bonneville.

1999_pontiac_bonneville_4_dr_ssei_supercharged_sedan-pic-8692700442568580214.jpeg

I've always thought the Cutlass 5-spokes were ugly, and wife does too. They're very convex. I've always preferred concave wheels which is why I got the ones I got on my 89 and the 077s on the 94.

In the past few years, I've noticed concave has become a "thing". Vossen seems to have made it more popular with their very concave CV3 wheels.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/5813434248_704aa95763_b.jpg

I've wondered how my 89 would look with Niche Milan (Vossen CV3 clone for a quarter the price), 8.5" in the front and their ultra concave 10.5" in the rear. I know it's ridiculous to run wider tires on the rear of a FWD, but it'd look so badass. :lol: Not to mention it'd bring the rear more flush with the quarter panels without spacers.

I don't like the Niche Milan.... They need more concave. I like the Vossen wheels though. I think concave wheels came into popularity after wire wheels, 3 spokes (remember seeing em all over in the 90's?) and 16" wheels fell out of style in favor of 20" and 22" wheels and large spokes. I know after spinners fell out, people liked the lip on the concave wheels.

I don't like the Niche Milan.... They need more concave. I like the Vossen wheels though. I think concave wheels came into popularity after wire wheels, 3 spokes (remember seeing em all over in the 90's?) and 16" wheels fell out of style in favor of 20" and 22" wheels and large spokes. I know after spinners fell out, people liked the lip on the concave wheels.

I think the Milans are about the same amount of concave as the Vossens.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz334/FXAutodesign/NICHE-SL-206-two_M_zps14f68d14.jpg

You're probably just finding a lot of pics of the narrower ones. The Vossens are less concave in narrower widths too. Like the Vossens, you have to get them in 10-10.5" width to look very concave. You're right that the 8.5" doesn't really look concave enough.

I need to buy a set of those cause that looks good.

I wish I didn't have a brain fart and would've taken them off the car before getting rid of it. I won those for cheap too on eBay, I think like $20 for the set