Help Trans won't shift out of 1st gear - FIXED

SigEpCutlass

When the car was acting up, was the speedo giving low or off readings at all?

There was no warning signs, and them BAM suddenly there was a problem.

Chris & Manic - Thanks for the PCM idea. If I end up having to go to the fucking yard and pull a PCM in this absurd below 0*F weather, is there any way I can test the PCM? I'm sure you can understand I don't want to go there twice when the closest yard to me is 30 mins away...

I may have to ask for a rough guide of where the VSS is on the trans, if I can't find my manual. I have a detached garage, but when it's -25*F with the windchill, I didn't exactly feel like crawling under the car not knowing what I'm doing. Thanks for the ideas guys...stay tuned!

If you look at the passenger side of the transmission, at the very end (the differential housing) is where you'll find the VSS. If I remember right, it's positioned on the top of it. You may be able to get to it from under the hood vs crawling under the car or removing the pass front wheel. Either way it's not hard to get to, and if it were me I'd change that first, mainly because of the simplicity plus the low cost of a new sensor.

If you look at the passenger side of the transmission, at the very end (the differential housing) is where you'll find the VSS. If I remember right, it's positioned on the top of it. You may be able to get to it from under the hood vs crawling under the car or removing the pass front wheel. Either way it's not hard to get to, and if it were me I'd change that first, mainly because of the simplicity plus the low cost of a new sensor.

Problem is fixed with a new VSS. I ended up jacking up the right side and pulled the passenger front wheel to replace the VSS. Thanks to Brian, Ken, & everyone else that helped out too! :high5:

Looks like I'll still own a W-body for a bit longer...