Lumina (90-94) grills

Luminated

Hi,

first post here, sorry if it's been asked before. I did search some but found no answers. does anyone know why there are three different types of grills for the Luminas? the grid one, the horizontal one and the colored border one, for lack of better description.

I've always wondered if it was a year produced thing or options or...? my first car was a 90 Grey 4 door. sadly after 265k, I had to replace it with my current vibrant blue 92. I've also bought a dark blue 93 and have a red 94 in storage waiting for a fix up. all but the grey one have had the horizontal slat type.

I believe the 1990s were the only year for the chrome grille. 1990 Euros also had a different grille.

1990 Base:

05324358_8X.JPG

1990 Euro:

07256828_8X.JPG

1991-94 Z34:

11301258_8X.JPG

1991-94 Base & Euro:

17841218_9X.JPG

PHAIL! There were 4 grills on luminas.

90 base = chrome

90 euro = lots of black slats surrounded by body color border

91-94 all (except Z34) = 5 slat body color grill

91-94 Z34 = solid grill with slats for turn signals.

• 3 weeks later...

i saw a euro today with the base chrome grill. must have been swapped?

Yes, the only year for that chrome grill was on base model 90's... the ugliest grill IMO. That's why I got rid of it on my car.

I'm biased of course - I think this looks MUCH better than the thick (ugly) bars of the 91-94 base cars. Z grilles look good too but I like my '90 only grille.

DSCN0374.jpg

Back when I had my '92 Base model, I had the big slats. I personally find ALL the lumina grills to be attractive, although the chrome ones DO give a bit of a granny sedan look to the car.