• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWeb80

• IRONDOG442

• BXX

• pontiacmaniac94

personally i like it. it makes the car look more agressive

Yeah. OR.........makes it look Spictacular.....

And if that were the case the factory heat extractors should go to because they don't do fuck all either!

Ummm.....the blurry lines of vision that rise from the heat extractors of my TGP and TSTE would beg to differ with you on that.

I would get another hood to install your louvers on and ditch that hood/scoop.

And if that were the case the factory heat extractors should go to because they don't do fuck all either!

The heat extractors help some. Heat pours out of them on my LG5's. The louvers draw some air out of the engine bay at speed. I've seen a site where a guy installed some 94-96 GTP louvers on a jeep and did some testing, they reduced the underhood temps a pretty good bit. Here's a quote...

"Given an outside air temperature of 90+ degrees F, I have been able to reduce the under hood air temperatures on my 97 TJ by as much as;

11 degrees F at Idle.

16 degrees F during Stop and Go

27 degrees F during Highway Travel "

The website where that came from: http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm#theory

Ummm.....the blurry lines of vision that rise from the heat extractors of my TGP and TSTE would beg to differ with you on that.

Take the temperature of a car with them and without them. You'll find them to be the exact same when ran under the same operating conditions In the 1989 Motor Trend article about these cars they stated that the heat extractors were not functional .

my rule: if it's not functional.......it doesnt go on my car. Lose it.

We can argue whether this makes it functional or not but IIRC there is a hole in that hood under the scoop.

Take the temperature of a car with them and without them. You'll find them to be the exact same when ran under the same operating conditions In the 1989 Motor Trend article about these cars they stated that the heat extractors were not functional .

Go watch the Motorweek 90 TGP test on Youtube. That test says they are functional. I know they are functional, because I can see the heat waves pouring out of them while I am driving my TGP.

Go watch the Motorweek 90 TGP test on Youtube. That test says they are functional. I know they are functional, because I can see the heat waves pouring out of them while I am driving my TGP.

when i was leaking anti-freeze from the block, it would go onto the exhaust manifold, and burn, and while sitting there after i had parked it, you could watch the white smoke curl outta the vents, it was kinda sad, made me think it was dying.

i say throw out the scoop, or get rid of the vents, one or the other.

whats wrong with the spoiler?

my rule: if it's not functional.......it doesnt go on my car.    Lose it.   

We can argue whether this makes it functional or not but IIRC there is a hole in that hood under the scoop.

I was wondering when someone was gonna notice that... So yeah, its is 'functional' so to speak..

And why ditch the spoiler??

100_0555.jpg

I didnt get good pics of it, but its flushmount design and already painted to match..

I say ditch it and put one of those fake battery operated superchargers in the hole LOL. That way when people come over to see it up on jack stands for the next couple years you can shut the hood and say " Yeah the supercharged LS1 is already in but I cant open the hood at the moment cuz I dont want anything to get dirty".

Take the temperature of a car with them and without them. You'll find them to be the exact same when ran under the same operating conditions In the 1989 Motor Trend article about these cars they stated that the heat extractors were not functional.

And you're basing this on your own scientific experiments, right? Or are you stating a non-tested hypothetical as fact? If you can SEE the heat rising/escaping, or watch the smoke from the turbo bellow out of the driver's side vent for 15 minutes after a car wash, can you explain to me how they're non-functioning? That's the equivalent to saying there's no exhaust coming out your tail pipe when you can feel or see it.

I really don't care whether Motor Trend or Pontiac claim them to be functional, or not. All I care about is that I'VE actually witnessed them working. How much of a difference they make is a different story, but to argue they don't function at all is plain ridiculous. The only way for them to be completely non-functional is if they were sealed off/just stick-ons.

From what I've read, unless hood scoops are right at the front of the car, they don't work anyway. As soon as air gets past the front of the car it becomes turbulent (swirly) or worse yet, a vacuum, and both actually make it harder to draw air in. I think only "cowl-induction," IMSA-type flat scoops, W-30 Olds under grill scoops, and big pro-stock snorkels are the only ones that really work. The first two work because they get out of the turbulent areas. Anybody else want to chime in here?

Read the link I posted on page 2 Rob for temp test info(on the smaller 94-96 louvers). The TGP louvers are definitely functional. I might see if my camera can capture the distortion from the heat waves rising out of the louvers @ idle.

EDIT: Read this TGP salesperson's brochure from ASC. It proves that the louvers are functional. See the "engine" section. :wink: Also note the prototype intake plenum...

TGPasc2.jpg

and the front of that brochure if anyone wants it too..

TGPasc1.jpg

I borrowed those pictures from Jim(idbeast). :wink:

Keep it looks like the old Starion hood set-up. Or hell give it to me i want it one of my TGPs could use a different flavor anyways. I think it is cool it has its cons but not horrible.

lose the "scoop"

the louvres might not be very functional, but they are to some extent and even moreso if you cut them out

no spoiler > lip spoiler >>>>> regular spoiler....I don't mind the lip spoiler at all, but you didn't even ask that