HVAC Panel Problem? UPDATE

94LuminaZ34

I just bought a 1994 Lumina Z34 with a 3.4L engine and Im in the process of getting it road ready but it has some problems so I hope someone can help me. It has a push button hvac panel and when I turn the ignition on the fan starts and keeps running but only blows from the defrost and bottom vents, if I push the off button the button will light up and the motor will stop untill I remove my finger then the fan starts again? All of the buttons work this way, they only work as long as I have my finger on them? It will blow air from the vents but again only when I have my finger on the vent button, also when I remove my finger I hear a hiss for about a split second. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the panel or a vacuum leak?

sounds like the HVAC panel itself is shot. the buttons should click and stay in place when pressed.

that will also account for the fan running at turn on. it is easy to replace.

Its was the panel. I went to the wrecking yard and pulled one off a euro and it works, now I dont have to hold the buttons down with toothpicks. The only difference between the one I had and the one I got is the one from the euro has a button for a rear window defroster that I dont have on my Z34 but it plugged in and works great. Thanks for the help