3x00 Headers. Info or pics on making them?

AWeb80

well, I found out today that my Parents are selling their 5th wheel and getting a newer one....well, the newer one won't fit in the shop and he is going to have a whole bay open.....see here, far right door. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/AWeb/GP%20Stock/CNXT0004.jpg

I currently have the GP stored in a garage 20 mins across town from me and asked him if I could now rent half the bay from him to keep the GP there, since they are only 15 mins from me, he said sure as soon as the trailer is sold (please pray it's soon).

well, w/ it being in the shop and having access to his welder, ......Headers are something I've wanted done for a LONG TIME.

....so, now, my question is what size primaries should I use and where should I place a secondary collector....or should I dump all six primaries into the DP area?

...any and all input you have on this, please come forth....EX: specs, material to use, size, layout....ETC.

I wouldnt even bother until you can tune.

I don't agree with that. Headers on a stock tune will still give nice gains.

Adam, this is going to be sick if you pull this off. But designing a header isn't a walk in the park. I would have no idea how to do so. So good luck and keep me updated on ur progress.

This will open a whole can of worms....I can't wait till you find out if you have the room/time to do it. I will throw out the idea of using 1 3/4 primaries on the front, not because of the need for flow out of the port, but so when you make the 90* turn to head for the rear bank, the resulting turn doesn't restrict the flow too much.

BTW, did I mention I think you ought to do a "long tube" style?

There is a lot to header design, as the length/dia has impact on rpm range. There are all sorts of "tricks". I could see coming out of the port at 1 5/8ths or 1 1/2 for the torque, then stepping up a size to enable smoother transition, etc. I need to stand over the engine of my now parked Cutlass and think about what you might have room for....

Are you stick or auto?

Cam?

What other mods?

Street or race?

All this plays into what is "best". Then you have to figure out "What will fit..." They are not the same thing! :willynilly:

it's mostly stock

slightly ported uppper intake

CAI

and 2.5" DP.

...this is more for future gains....as if I'm able to do this now, I might as well, because ported U/L and heads later on will really like the headers.

and Corey, I can do this, as I'll have all winter to do it, if my Parents trailer gets sold soon and I can take over that bay......

it's mostly stock

slightly ported uppper intake

CAI

and 2.5" DP.

...this is more for future gains....as if I'm able to do this now, I might as well, because ported U/L and heads later on will really like the headers.

and Corey, I can do this, as I'll have all winter to do it, if my Parents trailer gets sold soon and I can take over that bay......

The cool thing is that I know u will do this. I have yet to see you fail at anything :high5:

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any access to 3DS Max or Inventor?

Those programs are great in making sure the primaries are the same length.

I have experiance with both of these programs so I could help you out in this aspect.

Either way I would recommend using cardboard tube from tp, or paper towel tubes or even christmas paper tubes and cut them up and then you can visualize where the tubes need to be exactly. Its a cheap way before you start cutting up metal tube and welding.