Filter on turbo question!!!!!!

tgpguy21

When you put a filter on the turbo you get rid of all of your stock stuff, correct? well wouldnt the filter just be sucking in warm motor air? wouldn't that make the stock air filter almost better than a K&n on the turbo? If i do decide to do this am i really gonna be able to tell any difference in performance, sound, car temp, or anything else? i've seen all of these cars with the typhoon systems that just sit right inside by the motor so it must help somewhat right? :confused:

Guest Anonymous

The stock setup may get cooler air but it also gets alot less air. It is way to restrictive. The sound that you get from the filter on the turbo is awesome. Listen to that turbo sing!!!!

You should see better performance. It allows the turbo to spool much faster and there is almost no lag at all.

Less restrictive but your also intercooled. if your are really concerned you can do a custom intake an move the filter but i say just slap it on the turbo. it should hold higher boost better. my buddy removed his stock airbox and replaced it with an open cone on his eclipse and the boost used to fall off tward Redline but now it holds it just from swaping the filter.

RedZ

Turbo's heat up the air so much that air coming in at 20 degrees warmer isnt going to mean $hit because it's going to be heated to like 300 by the turbo, then intercooled way down. I bet that in the end, the air going into your throttle body is at most 5 degrees warmer than it was with the stock setup, but there is so much more air moving that the extra 5 degrees won't mean anything, not that it would anyways.

-tom

Trust on this idea, it will help alot.. Plus it sounds sweet as heck!!!

One more thing is you might want to add abov after the kn filter.. Cause your turbo will spool alot faster and when you let off your turbo will smashed with air trapped in the piping to the throttle body.. usr a 1g bov off a 90-94 eclipse/talon turbo set up.. shold cost about 50 bucks with the flange. and you will need the flange to weld to your piping.. Another mod is to cut your mufflers off.. Or you can core your cat,,, not legal but an option.. You might want to look into a high flow cat.. just some ideas.. KCP

The high flow Knn is the key, not any cold air really. I found this out recently when I put the KNN RU1390 on the turbo. Great results, the turbo spools up really quick. B4 it wouldn't hardly spin those big tires but now it will in a straight line some and a bunch around a corner. This improvement is over what I thought was a good homemade cold air system where I put three 4" round filters stacked inline inside of a tube.