3.1 to 3.4 or 3.8 swap

daytonboi

I searched even other sites and didn't really see the answer i want. I don't even want to fool with the old motor in the Lumina. What would be the most cost effective swap and what do i need to do it. Don't want to go supercharged yet, so not even looking at that route.

Either the 3400 or 3800 swaps wouldn't be very hard. Like Mitch R said, if you choose 3800(*cough* better) then just find a 3800 powered Lumina LTZ, and the wiring and swap would be pretty straight forward. 3400 would be easy too, since the 3100 is the same damn motor

• Like 1

I searched even other sites and didn't really see the answer i want. I don't even want to fool with the old motor in the Lumina. What would be the most cost effective swap and what do i need to do it. Don't want to go supercharged yet, so not even looking at that route.

The question your asking is what would be the most cost effective. I would say swap another 3.1L. That would be the easiest, require less tools and know how. Ive done a swap with basic hand tools and a cherry picker.

If your looking for more power, just upgrade the 3.1 components. Large port upper and lower intake manifolds, newer heads with rollerrockers, a TB out of a montana minivan. Upgrade your exhaust and air filter and you've got a scary 3.1L.

If you swapped to another motor, you'd also have to swap the Computer and Wiring Harness which can be very scary unless you know what you're doing.

• Like 1

3400 as far as simplicity will be almost a direct swap. there are a few things that need to be changed but it would be hands down the most straightforward

a 3800 would be a little more involved, but again fairly straightforward.

• Like 1

3400 swap is the best for your $ 3400 will bolt in place of your 3100 and run on the same harness/ecm

3400 has aftermarket just have to look in the right places! 3400 can make plenty of power too just lots of people like the 3800 s/c because it came with boost from the factory and responds well to a smaller pully!

a few guys with 3400's in j-bodys are making good power with boost

check out this guy http://khturbo.net/rmtz24/RMTZ24.html 1989 Z24 5-speed

'02 3400 V6, 10psi of Turbo

Best 1/4- 12.41 at 112.8

328HP/352TQ to the wheels

on a stock 3400 with a turbo!

another J-body with a stock bottem end 3400 ran 12.21@118 two weekends ago, he has home ported heads, cam, centrifugal supercharger, headers and a few other mods!

just giving you some ideas before you swap to a 3800!

• Like 1

Either the 3400 or 3800 swaps wouldn't be very hard. Like Mitch R said, if you choose 3800(*cough* better)

Just like the rest of these stupid OMGZ THE 3.1/3100/3400 ARZ BETTER THAN TEH STUPIDZ EL 67!

:rolleyes:

On that note, I would 3400 swap it, And if you want to on down the road, Turbo it.

• Like 1

Since I don't want to start a separate topic, I just want to butt in and leave a related question. I have an LN3 3800 that's naturally aspirated and I wanted to know what would be involved if I were have it supercharged. What kind of supercharger would you guys recommend? What would be the general price to have a shop do the work for me since I'm incapable? What kind of power gains would I see?

well you have to replace the upper intake manifold, obviously the supercharger inself (an M90 is what they came with stock) PCM mods, and then you may have a too much compression issue on high boost. The addition of the pulleys to drive the supercharger. There is a lot of stuff to change.

how reliable are these quick ghey bodies?

the RMT z24 has is the guys daily driver year round and competed in HotRod magazines 2008 Drag Week running mid 12's all week with a slipping clutch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjfjCTDpZo

the supercharged 3400 Z24 has been running boost for over 3 years now, no issues with the engine but he did kill one tranny last year dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm on slicks!

A J body could out handle a W body any day of the week and you can got fast on less power cause they're lighter. :rolleyes: Anyways a 3400 is the way to go for reliability and mileage. Thats whats going in my cutlass along with a turbo and a 5 speed. :mrgreen:

A J body could out handle a W body any day of the week and you can got fast on less power cause they're lighter. :rolleyes: Anyways a 3400 is the way to go for reliability and mileage. Thats whats going in my cutlass along with a turbo and a 5 speed. :mrgreen:

:thumb:

a 3800 out of a lumina LTZ

x3

this really is the logical choice for you. its a very reliable engine once you fix the weak points(LIM's, upper intake), aftermarket is great, and its the easiest swap.

They're all very reliable, but if you're wanting the absolute most reliable--I'd say N/A 3800. It's been out for so long it has been perfected more than any other IMO.

I'd agree if it were not for the same gasket issues that ail the GM motors.

reliability is only as good as your maintenance. keep up on the maintenance and you should not have any problems. I have seen several 3400's and 3800's with well over 325,000kms on them (200,000mi)

• Like 1