L36 Lower Intake Manifold - Progress with Pics!!!

xtremerevolution

I've seen Sea Foam mentioned in several threads lately. Never heard of it B4. What is it used for?

Those gaskets look scary..........unholy :Yikes_anim: I'd get rid of them right away B4 they start crawling around :willy_nilly:

Tom :new_all_coholic:

I've seen Sea Foam mentioned in several threads lately. Never heard of it B4. What is it used for?

Those gaskets look scary..........unholy :Yikes_anim: I'd get rid of them right away B4 they start crawling around :willy_nilly:

Seafoam is a 100% petroleum product you can buy at any auto store in your area. \

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

You typically pull out your brake booster hose and pour this in here, which basically covers your entire intake system. You pour in half to 3/4 a canister (depending on how many miles you have and how long its been since you've done it), and immediately turn the engine off. After 20 minutes, turn the engine back on and watch the mountains of smoke pour out of your exhaust.

The basic idea is that it cleans carbon deposits in your engine. On all cars I've done it, I've noticed a substantially higher throttle response, slightly higher performance, and substantially faster start times. Its only $8 a canister and makes a world of difference.

I am about 90% sure he was saying he bought the undiluted (non premix) coolant. and that he has every intention of cutting it.

Before buying it, I checked and saw that the car uses 11 or so quarts of coolant, so I bought two gallons of undiluted and will buy another two gallons of distilled water to make a 50/50 mix, since two gallons of undiluted wouldn't be enough. The prediluted mix seems to be more expensive than the undiluted mix, so I went with that instead.

As I said before about the plugs though, I'm not too concerned. I'll do a 0-60 run with my g-timer to confirm that the car is performing what an L36-powered car should be.

I never buy premix. It's more cost effective to buy the non-diluted stuff, and buy distilled water. You will get a lot farther that way.

when I've done intake gaskets... i pull the oil plug and let any water that made it's way into the oil pan out the bottom.... and stick the plug in one the oil is "clean" and put the plug back in. Top the engine off with fresh oil and run it. Once fully warmed, do a full oil change.

Seafoam is a 100% petroleum product you can buy at any auto store in your area. \

You typically pull out your brake booster hose and pour this in here, which basically covers your entire intake system. You pour in half to 3/4 a canister (depending on how many miles you have and how long its been since you've done it), and immediately turn the engine off. After 20 minutes, turn the engine back on and watch the mountains of smoke pour out of your exhaust.

The basic idea is that it cleans carbon deposits in your engine. On all cars I've done it, I've noticed a substantially higher throttle response, slightly higher performance, and substantially faster start times. Its only $8 a canister and makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the info. I'll definately have to try it. Have 51K on the car. How long will it smoke?

Tom

Thanks for the info. I'll definately have to try it. Have 51K on the car. How long will it smoke?

Tom

If you're going WOT on the street? 2-3 city blocks before it starts to die down.

A couple of minutes, but during this period you are supposed to DRIVE LIKE A BAT OUTTA HELL!!!

Indeed. Just make sure nobody's following you, cause they'll have to stop in the middle of the road not being able to see anything.

Some people just rev it in idle and let the smoke clear out, but I think you might get more of the carbon deposits out doing WOT runs, so in that sense, yeah, like "a bat outta hell."

just change the oil before you even start it, i usually dump a little bit of kerosene down the oil fill while I am draining that contaminated oil out of the car.

x1613626!! I had to change the oil two times before all the coolant was out of the crankcase when i did my intake swap.

Did you drain the coolant before you started on the car? Or was there an existing coolant leak? I wasn't leaking any coolant here. I'm doing this job because she got the car for $1600 and I figured it would be worth it to get some preventative maintenance done right away.

I drained all the coolant out before i started working on it, It has no leaks at all, But when i pulled the LIM off, All the coolant in it went right in the engine. :lol: I knew it was going to spill some out, But i did not know THAT much was going to pour out.. :willynilly: :lol: As long as you make sure there is no coolant in your oil when you are done, You should be good to go.

air pressure in to the thermostat hole will blow any residual coolant out......

Alright, got a bunch of work done yesterday. LIM went back on, along with the Dorman intake plenum. As noted, it did come with a revised stovepipe for the EGR issue which I will agree is a MUCH better design and I'm 100% sure it will eliminate the intake problem. Intake also went back on, along with throttle body, TB accessories, new gaskets and seals for the thermostat, coolant elbow, alternator, new belt, and a few brackets here and there. I'll finish up the rest of the work on Thursday and fire it up. I don't have much left to install aside from fuel injectors (and o-ring replacements) and rails, fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and spark plugs and wires. Then an oil change, coolant system flush, coolant refill, and a nice seafoam job to top it off. This thing better fire up when I turn the ignition key.

Last thing I need to figure out is the spark plug wiring (which wire from the ICM goes to which cylinder).

I hate having to deal with mixing. That's why I buy the premixed stuff.

Here's how I do it. Get a big bucket. Pour a gallon of coolant in. Pour a gallon of water in. Stir it with something clean. Pour it into your radiator using a cup of sorts and a funnel if needed. Put whatever you don't use back into the coolant bottle.

I hate having to deal with mixing. That's why I buy the premixed stuff.

Here's how I do it. Get a big bucket. Pour a gallon of coolant in. Pour a gallon of water in. Stir it with something clean. Pour it into your radiator using a cup of sorts and a funnel if needed. Put whatever you don't use back into the coolant bottle.

Win.

Back when I first bought my Lumina I almost bought the GM top end cleaner thinking that it would clean the top end of the motor(as in...the plenum.....exterior.... :lol: )

Alright, I put the whole thing back together and the engine fired up just fine. I put in new coolant and took the car out for a spin. Did about 5 WOT runs from 0-60 and the engine felt strong and healthy, and faster than my regal (being a Series 2, of course). Checked for leaks and there were none, so it seems the LIM gaskets sealed up perfectly fine.

However, I did have one concern. The car makes a gurgling-type noise which can be audibly heard standing next to the front doors. However, you can't hear the sound in the engine bay My girlfriend's dad suspects that there's an exhaust leak somewhere based on the way it sounded, though I honestly don't know if it was making this noise before. I'm going to seafoam it next week since I'm out of town this weekend to see if that changes anything. Otherwise, everything seems to have worked out perfectly well. Any ideas on that noise though?

Could be air in the heater core or something... Now that I say that, that could be the problem with my mom's heat!! It makes the same noise, and the heat doesn't preform as it should. Thanks! :lol: :lol:

when you seafoam.....you'll be able to tell if there in an exhaust leak.....

Yeah I was thinking that too, but I can't seafoam it till Tuesday.

Oh, and one other thing. Air vents don't switch. No matter what you press, air always goes only to the windshield, not the floor or the front vents. Heat works though.

if it has the ECC, make sure the small vac line isnt cut/off/has hole. on my 98, mine had a wear hole in it (near the battery) causing the same problem.

There is a vac tube next to the battery, which i forgot to mention, which is crusted and crumbling to bits. It definitely needs replacing, so I'll check that first thing.

Excuse my inexperience, what's the ECC?