Coilovers, Adj Mounts, Solid Cradle Bushings, UPDATE 3/25 Design Done!!!!

BXX

Yes, it will replace your monoleaf.

If I had a DD in the summer that wasn't the GTP I would consider going to a 350lb spring in the back and a 400lb spring up front...

Like Bob said avoid pot holes like the plague... the first time you hit one you will know why, lol

For the first time this year I will actually be looking at getting some numbers out of my set up, Getting a set of 245 Fuzion ZRi tires in the next couple weeks... Just prepping the car to come out for spring!

Jamie

Nice thanks for the help i am prob going to go with the 250lb.

Does anybody know were to get a bushing kit for a 92 cutlass supreme?? Ones like in the pic on htis tread. :cool:

Yeah, I just ordered in all the parts to do front coilovers. I bought 250lb springs. I will be putting my 300lb springs up front and the 250 are going to the rear. Looking for a bit softer ride since the roads around me are kinda bad.

What bushing kit are you looking for exactly??

I should have all my stuff shipped in on Saturday and I am off on Vacation all next week, so I hope to have everything installed and my CS tucking the tires :burnout: :lol:

I was using 250lb springs but I changed to 300lb which im now running. My best advise, dont get 250lb springs. They bounce to much over bumps and dont feel soild like the 300 lb springs.

Ya. I'm Looking At Switching to 300 lb springs.

Believe me its worth it. Car rides better and handles better.

Well, im trying the 250s in the rear and 300 up front for ride quality due to the quality roads around me :lol:

Once I know where my ride height it gonna be, I will drive it for a bit, and eventually go to variable rate springs once I do the calculations neccessary. I will end up using Hyperco springs.

Variable rate should allow the spring to have to be compressed ever so slightly on the strut on full extension so there will be no unseating issues when load is taken off the suspension, but also give a firm enough ride for handling.

I will be doing that once I either do mounts myself specific for the coilovers, or Mark decides to do mounts for us...

Oh, and I also went and bought ES sway bar bushings for the FE3 bar I will be installing at the same time since I have to put a new cradle in. Picked them up from Autozone, they had the outers in stock, and 2 day order for the inner. Inners are 35mm, outers are 22mm. Im gonna get another set of 22mm ones for my rear sway bar at the knuckle, get new inner brackets and track down ES bushings that will work.

With the 7/8" bar out back, there is no issue of the springs coming unseated. Unless the ass end of the car is on jackstands or your jumping your car :lol:

I know Jamie has 350lb up front and 300lb in the back. I had 250, and ride was good, but was just soo bouncy over bumps and ive actually found that they 300lb handle the bumps better than the 250lb springs did IMHO.

Im talking about unseating the springs when you jack the car up silly :lol: and its a 22mm bar... :lol:

Just kind of a pain to have to lower the car down slowly to make sure the springs go where they should. Even though the couple dozen times I have had mine on the lift the springs went right where they should on the upper mount/isolator without me having to guide them..

My 300lb springs are actually very very stiff... A little too stiff that I have noticed they arent allowing the strut to do its job properly. I have KYB GR2s back there...

• Like 1

7/8" 22mm same thing! :lol:

What 300lb springs are they? My QA1's are perfect, but then again I guess its all person preference in how you want the car to ride. I also have GR2's as well.

I have yet to have a problem seating my springs... its not a big deal to just reach in and adjust the spring by hand when the car is lowering. And they definitely don't come unseated while driving! Ask some of the other Ontario members what my car looks like cornering on 3 wheels :lol:

Jamie

I have yet to have a problem seating my springs... its not a big deal to just reach in and adjust the spring by hand when the car is lowering. And they definitely don't come unseated while driving! Ask some of the other Ontario members what my car looks like cornering on 3 wheels :lol:

Jamie

The problem is its a pain and not proper. Sure it works, but its not correct.

And yes, There have been several times I have been almost under full unload conditions during driving. Plus that fun little noise you hear when you hit a bump has to do with a spring rate a little high, then it rebounds and the spring rate becomes almost nothing right before it settles and the struts takes the grunt end of things

Like I said, it works great, especially on the track there would be zero issues, well, almost. But daily driving, under full extension, we need the spring under abit of compression..

And currently, I do have QA1s...

I have never had any noise come from my coil overs... the only sounds my suspension has made was from the addco bar when it moved out of place, no noise since that was fixed.

Jamie

I have never had any noise come from my coil overs... the only sounds my suspension has made was from the addco bar when it moved out of place, no noise since that was fixed.

Jamie

That reminds me, the noise I may be hearing now that I think of it is the rear sway bar tagging my exhaust.. :question:

And im talking when hitting very hard potholes at a decent speed in a quick time, on one side..

Damn, sure does sound like the sway bar... I know my exhaust needs the hangers readjusted. When I have it on the alignment rack I will be taking pics and maybe also have a better idea whats going on back there

Do you have tubular lateral links as well? it could be hitting them. I had that issue, I ended up making a couple different spacers. 1 set was a 3/8" spacer between the strut and the Sway bar mount, the other was extending the inner brackets by 3/4".

Later on I ended up taking the 3/8" spacer out, but the spacer for the inner mounts is still there... I will see if I can dig up some pics...

Jamie

Do you have tubular lateral links as well? it could be hitting them. I had that issue, I ended up making a couple different spacers. 1 set was a 3/8" spacer between the strut and the Sway bar mount, the other was extending the inner brackets by 3/4".

Later on I ended up taking the 3/8" spacer out, but the spacer for the inner mounts is still there... I will see if I can dig up some pics...

Jamie

I have Gen 2 stock tubular lateral links for now because I wanted something that wasnt bent :lol: and I could do proper adjustments for toe.. The bonus was they are longer than Gen 1 stock arms, and after camber adjustement, the wheels gets spaced out prolly an easy inch on both sides.. Not more wheel gap!! Plus a more true wider track width..

Once I get it lowered, im prolly gonna see some interference which should be an issue to solve..

Any idea what diameter those bars are?

Jamie

Im using the 22mm (aka 7/8") stock bar from a Gen 1.5 Monte.. Found on the 95 Z34s only, but not all of them, but another member swears he pulled on off a LS from either 95 or 96

Here is that pic

the supplied inner mount (right) next to the extended inner mount (left)

CIMG2422.jpg?t=1234585897

They were tough to put together!

CIMG2421.jpg?t=1234585964

Yeah the held bars are about that size... when you lower the car the bar will rub on the edge of the inner sway bar mounts if you used the mounts shown above...

What do the inner mounts for the Gen 1.5 look like?

Jamie

Ok, well Jaime, im off to bed. I gotta a long day tomorrow and im exhausted.

Well will continue this saga, and once I have done everything, I will make a new How-To write up thread that better damn well be stickied!! :lol:

And I will take pics of the stock mounts and any mods that need to be done to them

-Bob