The Great LQ1 3.4L DOHC Debate Thread (Post Your Hate Here!)

GP1138

I got my 1991 GP SE LQ1 towed once.

Engine eventually died after have been running poorly, jerky, unstable idle etc. since the day i bought it.

After serious troubleshooting, no troublecodes, found 2 dead 2 halfgood an 2 good injectors.

Replaced all injectors, 3 years 35000 miles later not a problem, just regular maintainance.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• ManicMechanic

• Euro

• jeremy

Always wanted to own one and now I do. I have had it for a year and a half now. The engine runs like a charm. Smooth and quite.

Complaint: Tranny is shit! Mine is now slipping. Damn 4T60e!!

Overall....i like the LQ1 i have. but i have 2 major complaints.

1. Distributor O-Ring is shot and spits oil everywhere....pisses me off

2. It's extremely hard if not impossible to find mods for a 95....only year the LQ1 came in the monte w/ OBD1.....so u can't tune it like i can my 00 GTP.

Not sure if I'm a LQ1 "enthusiast", but I own a 93 convertible that has 137,000 miles and sounds fine. The timing belt was replaced not long ago by the previous (original) owner who used only AMS 0w30 synthetic oil. I've resorted to Mobil One myself. No complaint about the engine. I actually owned the 3.1 briefly, and it was on the way out -- every kind of knock -- but in a lighter vehicle that engine is fine.

My complaint is coupling the LQ1 with the 4T60-E they put in the Grand Ams. Too much engine for too little tranny. I've burned the clutches twice, and can only expect the current one to go too (the whole story here is a hoot, but later for that); added a big tranny cooler, and rewired the fan to run whenever the ignition is on, and this has worked so far. :high5:

But the real reason I replied here is to sound out alternatives: Should I seek out the original 5-speed manual that went with these, or get a 4T65-E and convert to OBD-II? I notice the manual Getrag/Muncie manual was also used in the Grand Ams... :rolleyes:

The LQ1 in my 93 Lumina Z34 was meticulously maintained by the previous owners. It had synthetic oil all its life and all regular maintenance (coolant changes, tranny fluid changes, power steering changes, oil changes, spark plugs). Right before I got it, the previous owner replaced the timing belt, tensioner, all the pulleys associated with the belt, rebuilt the heads and had them machined and cleaned, and just overall treated the engine right.

My car has 150K miles on it, and doesn't appear to use a drop of fluid (although there is a small leak underneath, the rack and pinion may soon need attention). Overall, I'm pretty happy with the thing and the performance it offers in a car that most assume is a granny car, family sedan that is dull and boring. It was an advanced piece of machinery when it came out and because I like machines and like tinkering with stuff, it sorta intrigues me.