Well, I bought a daily driver...

Unfortunately it's not a w-body. I looked and didn't find anything that was nice enough for the amount of money we felt like spending. In the end, we ended up with a Sunbird.

It feels fairly quick (relatively speaking). It's got the 3.1, 5 speed, ABS, manual windows, cloth seats, cold a/c, low miles, and is damn near perfect. For $1900, it was too good a deal to pass up. That and I can do burnouts all day long in that little car with the torquey little V6. :wink:

Anyway, I thought I'd stick around here to learn about the 3.1 since the j-body board seems to not be the place for me to want to hang out (I'll give it some time, but it seems more like the import scene than the hotrod/general maintence stuff I'm used to).

The only things the car needs is a piece of window trim (ordered), a muffler strap/hanger (already bought), new wipers (already bought), a magazine for the CD changer (on it's way), and a new tensioner pulley (sounds like the bearings are about to give up).

So don't mind me for now. I'll prolly just lurk unless I have 3.1 questions or someone wants to talk stuff I know about (Turbo Buicks/SyTys/F-bodies/Mopars). ;)

For now I'll enjoy it and resist... the... urge... to... boost the l'il 'bird. :twisted:

Want to sell your coronet??

My Father inlaw has 2 68's on base and one 500 but no R/T the 500 has 25,000 miles original

and he has a 69 Charger SE with 43,000 original miles. {totaly original}

wins shows all the time

what are you going to be doing with your Typhoon??

and yeah We dont car if you stick around after all I go to the 3.4 in EFI-street and im a member of J-body.org

and I just have a 3.1L Turbo

if you looking for a economy machine I recomend doing a intake, Carsound cat and 2.25" catback to a super turbo on your sunbird. that will make a pretty good difference in your fuel economy. not to mention performance. I did all of thoes on my 88 2.8L Beretta GT and it helped out quite a bit. the catback piping only cost me $150 installed with muffler. so if you take the cost vs the total savings it is well worth the money.

RedZ

Coronet - Nope, not for sale. Sorry. Got big plans for it once a house is bought and I've got the time and space of my own to play with it. While it needs a new top, and some minor rust repair, the body and interior are in suprisingly good condition for a 34 year old car. pics here

Typhoon - it's a great little truck, but it's taken all my car money to keep it running. GM didn't engineer it so much as throw parts at it and made sure it would run okay. So I'd rather work on the TTA and have a more reliable daily driver, so it's soon to be sold once I fix a few things.

Sunbird - Thanks for the tips. I haven't had the car long enough to see what kind of performance or mileage it gets, but that's all stuff I was planning on doing anyway. :) First up though, I'd really like to find a short throw shifter. That thing is way too vague and sloppy. :(

Its a nice looken car.....doesnt look like its in tobad of shape....

whats Wrong with the ty?? maybe I'd Get it from you in the condition its in....Im missing my old on Really bad....I also had a 92 how many miles are on yours??

Sunbird - Thanks for the tips. I haven't had the car long enough to see what kind of performance or mileage it gets, but that's all stuff I was planning on doing anyway. :) First up though, I'd really like to find a short throw shifter. That thing is way too vague and sloppy. :(

not sure if you will be able to find one. best bet is to compare yours with on out of say a beretta and if its shorter, then swap it in. i have heard of people chiping them down and threading them, then putting the knob on the modified shifter.

RedZ

I'd have to park that R/T in my living room so I could stare endlessly at it.

I had the privilage of driving my uncle's my senior year. I worked on his farm. None of us had a clue to it's future value.

It wasn't the R/T but it was sweet. It was titled 440 Deluxe for badges but only had a 318. I never corrected those who thought it was a wedge.

No, I ain't tellin' how long ago that was.

Thanks for the compliments on the Mopar. For now it's sitting in the garage. Once the tranny in the TTA gets built, and the Ty gets sold, I'll start cleaning and tinkering with the ol' Dodge again. For the curious, it's a real R/T, with 440 and 727 (that will eventually get replaced by a Keisler 5 speed manual). A previous owner was kind enough to replace the 4bbl with a six-pack setup. :twisted: It's also got the super stock springs, 3.91 Sure-grip, and all the other "drag pack" stuff. Grossly out of tune (wouldn't even spin the 14" tires - just wanted to get a baseline run out of it), I knocked off a 14.07 @ 98 mph. There's LOTS of potential in there.

As for the shifter in the Sunbird, it's a Getrag, and should be the same one thats in the W-cars. I haven't found an aftermarket shifter for it, so it looks like I'll get a boneyard shifter stick, cut out the middle and re-weld it so that it's at a good height and position. Right now I'm hitting my hand on the climate controls every time I reach for or let go of the shifter, and the GF has to lean way forward to raech 3 and 5th gear. A lot of the sloppiness in the design can be fixed by replacing worn or soft bushings and spacers with metal washers. That's definately going to be the first "mod."

Does anyone know what the bolt pattern is for the wheels for the J-bodies vs the W-cars? I'd love to put some '95 or so GP 5 spokes on the car, but I suspect that the bolt pattern is too big for the GP rims to fit. :(